Back after an 9 yr hiatus...

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
1stAnd10
Prole

Back after an 9 yr hiatus...

Post by 1stAnd10 »

Hi everyone,

I joined this forum way back in 2008 and loved LOVE at the time. However life happened, kids, work, etc..

I've recently been working on a game for the past 3 months using MonoGame and have become frustrated with the bugs in the framework so I've been wandering around the internetz looking for an alternative 2d framework, remembered I fell in LOVE and wandered back here. I'm heartened to see it's still here, the community is so vibrant and the amount of frameworks in the wiki is exciting!

However I'm a bit concerned that it seems an update for LOVE hasn't happened since Oct 2016? Is it still being worked on? Is it just so awesome it doesn't need to be worked on any longer? Should I port my game to LOVE and rock on? Talk to me...

Also do you still have to release your source code with your game like you had to do way back in the day (if I remember correctly)?

I've attached a screenshot of my game (WIP).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 10.55.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 10.55.55 AM.png (96.32 KiB) Viewed 6741 times
Nikki
Citizen

Re: Back after an 9 yr hiatus...

Post by Nikki »

an update for LOVE hasn't happened since Oct 2016? Is it still being worked on?
https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/commits/all

latest commit was (as I type this) 3 hours ago :awesome:
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

LÖVE development is still active, don't you worry about that ;)
If you follow the Issue Tracker link above it'll lead you to the repository, where you can see the latest code and modifications.
I don't know how Game Distribution used to work back then, but you can follow the link to see how it does now (spoiler: you still need to).
Welcome back (although I joined much, much later than you left)!
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
1stAnd10
Prole

Post by 1stAnd10 »

Nikki wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Aha! Thank you!

I was basing that off of the 0.10.2 release which looked like it was Oct 2016. Should I be compiling from source then?
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

If there's no new feature you really need, then I don't see any reason for using the 0.11.0 dev build right now.
1stAnd10 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:21 pm
Nikki wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:11 pm

Aha! Thank you!

I was basing that off of the 0.10.2 release which looked like it was Oct 2016. Should I be compiling from source then?
Do you really think that a build from Oct. 2016 is that old? I'm absolutely fine with one major build per year.
Also, I guess that 0.11.0 is going to be released around christmas anyway, so just practice some more patience and everything will be fine. :cool:
p.s welcome back.
1stAnd10
Prole

Post by 1stAnd10 »

Not if there's active dev going on. I was worried that was indicative that no dev was going on any longer. As long as everyone is happy with the latest build and there's no huge bugs or pressing reasons to get a build out sooner that's fine with me. I'll take the span between releases to be indicative of the stability of the software. :) Thanks!
hamberge
Prole

Post by hamberge »

I've found love to be a nice framework with basic features solidly implemented and easily accessible. I really haven't noticed any bugs in Love. One thing I find a little unpleasant is that it runs in Lua 5.1. I'm not very familiar with the Lua version history but my understanding is Lua 5.2 and 5.3 have some significant differences from prior versions. My guess is that a move to 5.2 or 5.3 might break old Love code.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

hamberge wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:42 pm I've found love to be a nice framework with basic features solidly implemented and easily accessible. I really haven't noticed any bugs in Love. One thing I find a little unpleasant is that it runs in Lua 5.1. I'm not very familiar with the Lua version history but my understanding is Lua 5.2 and 5.3 have some significant differences from prior versions. My guess is that a move to 5.2 or 5.3 might break old Love code.
Löve uses Mike Pall's LuaJIT for the simple reason that it's blazing fast, since your code gets compiled (just-in-time) instead of interpreted (in most cases), and the probability of that being modified to work with lua 5.3 is near zero, hence the chances of Löve's default builds moving away from LuaJIT is near zero as well.

LuaJIT does come with a few stuff that could be backported from newer lua versions though (mostly 5.2 stuff that doesn't break stuff), and i believe that you can compile Löve against 5.3 too, but the downside would be magnitudes slower processing.

Also, old Löve projects may be broken regardless of what lua backend löve uses since the löve API itself has tons of breaking changes between the "big" versions. (Most of them can be re-coded easily, some not so easily.)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
hamberge
Prole

Post by hamberge »

I didn't realize Love used luajit. Makes sense though.

Hmm... found this interesting post...

https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83356