Questions about love2d

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Hanicso
Prole

Questions about love2d

Post by Hanicso »

Hi im new to here and I wanna join with you guys a lot. To start my actions in here, I've brought some questions about this unique game framework called Love2d. Since I love Lua, I Love Love2d :)

So, my questions are these. 1. Can Love2d hold or manage a big scale game such as Gta2 (since Love2d is for 2d games, I picked Gta2 for example) 2. I wanna make openworld 2d top-view games with love2d but I've heard that Lua and Love2d is not fittable for openworld games cause it's too slow. Is that true?

Thanks for reading and sorry for my poor English grammar :o
Tjakka5
Party member

Re: Questions about love2d

Post by Tjakka5 »

Hello and welcome!

Love can of course be used for larger scale game, the restricting factor is usually the programmer, since huge projects take huge amounts of time and dedication ;)

Love is also fast enough to do whatever you want. It uses LuaJIT which is able to perform at similair speeds of normal C code.
Of course, you need to actually write proper code and optimize if/when needed. But other than that it is as fitting as any other framework/engine.
DiegoG
Prole

Post by DiegoG »

Hi, welcome to the forums!

Regarding your questions, Love2d uses LuaJIT, as stated above, which makes the framework possibly even faster than others; but the most important thing to know about Love2d is that unlike regular engines or frameworks, it does not walk you through all the developing, everything from classes, object loading, object creating, object utilization, visuals, effects, even the camera, needs to be done by hand (Unless you use one of the many, many free modules out there, but personally I think doing it yourself is the thing I love the most about Love), and a lot of people fail to use this power properly (including myself, more than once) and end up with very sluggish code that would probably need to be done from scratch in order to optimize, so the quality and speed of your works often depend on the quality and speed of your code, Ive even seen some people make 3D engines with realistic physics that run silky smooth on Love2d!

Short answer: It depends on how you code, it can definitely run even larger scale projects given you have the talent and knowledge to pull it off. Most mistakes and feats are on you.
function earth:destroy()
00count=5000
00while count>0 do
0000lg.draw(explosion,math.random(0,600),math.random(0,800))
0000count=count-1
00end
00earth = nil
00print("Earth has been destroyed.")
end
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Also, just to clarify, GTA2 (and i believe GTA1 as well) used true 3D geometry for the world itself, just with a forced top-down perspective; The issue with that is that to my knowledge, Löve doesn't (yet) have an easy way to fix textures being rendered perspective-correctly, and/or no one created a smallish lib for this kind of stuf yet (that i've seen).

It may possibly be faked with other techniques, but that may not be the best regarding performance.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.