Free music requests (public domain/CC0)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
incognito_mage
Prole

Free music requests (public domain/CC0)

Post by incognito_mage »

If anyone needs any music for his game, of any kind, I can try to make it, if I have time, and then put it in the public domain under CC0. Just request it and I might be able to help you!

Basically, you can include it in your game for free without attribution, you can sell it in your OST bundle or whatever, but you don't have exclusive rights over it, and I can put it on my websites or something.

Here's how this thread works:
You ask for some game music, either here or, if you prefer, by PM.
In any case, I'll reply by PM (to avoid bumping the thread too much) to let you know if I I can work on it or not.
When the music is ready, I'll send it to you by PM and post it in the thread.

I'll also sometimes post music that nobody requested if I think I made something particularly neat on my own.
Last edited by incognito_mage on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
What's this? What's this? There's violas everywhere!
zorg
Party member

Re: Free music requests (public domain/CC0)

Post by zorg »

Not a lawyer, but i think that you also don't retain the right for attribution if you put your stuff under "public domain" (or CC0 or equivalents).
There's CC-BY, which only requires attribution; if i'm not mistaken, that may be more fitting for what you described.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
incognito_mage
Prole

Post by incognito_mage »

That's a good point, but I'm not sure if I understand: does that mean that what I wrote here wouldn't work?
incognito_mage wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:36 pm Basically, you can include it in your game for free without attribution, you can sell it in your OST bundle or whatever, but you don't have exclusive rights over it, and I can put it on my websites or something.
Do you mean I wouldn't be able to put it on my website saying "I made this, download it under CC0", and I need CC-BY for that?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

incognito_mage wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:28 pm That's a good point, but I'm not sure if I understand: does that mean that what I wrote here wouldn't work?
incognito_mage wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:36 pm Basically, you can include it in your game for free without attribution, you can sell it in your OST bundle or whatever, but you don't have exclusive rights over it, and I can put it on my websites or something.
Do you mean I wouldn't be able to put it on my website saying "I made this, download it under CC0", and I need CC-BY for that?
Idk, but do make an informed decision:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/
https://creativecommons.org/share-your- ... omain/cc0/
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

There are actually some countries where "Public Domain" is not a valid legal concept, but I think your terms are pretty clear: do what you want with it, no attribution required. No exclusive rights tho. opengameart.org might be the right place for your stuff.

I could actually use a short music loop for the menu of my game. I want it to be happy/whacky, kinda like circus music, or the stereotypical US ice cream van music. I made a rough sketch of what it could sound like by myself, but I didn't think it was good enough yet to actually use it. If you're interested, send me a PM.
incognito_mage
Prole

Post by incognito_mage »

First request done!

Silly 1
direct links:
FLAC
OGG

License:
CC0: Attribution not required, commercial use allowed.

Description:
Silly looping music. Add it to your silly menu or something.

Notes:
loopable between start and end
loopable between 10.667s and end

Thanks to grump for the request.
Last edited by incognito_mage on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

One more tiny thing, Löve doesn't support flac files; only mp3, ogg and wav (as in streamed formats, it does support more notation-based ones, because of libmodplug, which is irrelevant here), so the requesters will need to convert them themselves if you'll only create flac versions. (At least, i haven't seen any sign of it being supported on the wiki, except on the building löve article with the compiler flags)
incognito_mage
Prole

Post by incognito_mage »

Thanks for the heads up!

I prefer flac to wav because of the file size (not that bandwidth is a problem yet even for my small vps), but I've also added an ogg render for love convenience, and I'm going to add it from now on.