BYTEPATH tutorial - making a complete game with LÖVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Rubbermaid
Prole

Re: BYTEPATH tutorial - making a complete game with LÖVE

Post by Rubbermaid »

This must be the most in-depth tutorial I've seen for any engine! :ultraglee:

Was the decision to use an object-oriented design due to your background, to teach common practice, or something else entirely? I've always thought of the use of OOP as un-LÖVEly, but your code makes it fit in incredibly cleanly.
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Looks T H I C C
Great job!
grump
Party member

Re: BYTEPATH tutorial - making a compleis te game with LÖVE

Post by grump »

Wow, that looks really awesome. Excellent work! Creative abuse of the github issue tracker as a blog host too, lol. i like it. Any reasons why you chose this approach instead of using the wiki?

Did you plan on making the tutorial right from the beginning? Like, "I'm gonna make a game as a tutorial" or "I have this game; lets turn it into a tutorial"? I don't follow LÖVE projects from the community, I'm sorry if there is an obvious answer to this.

Would you mind sharing a (ballpark) number of how many of the tutorials you've sold after some while? I'm curious about the demand and if people are willing to pay $25 or even $50 for something like this. If you prefer to share the numbers privately, I promise not to tell anyone :) I would also appreciate some general insight into buyer feedback, if any.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Rubbermaid wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:00 pm Was the decision to use an object-oriented design
In my view OOP is the style that makes the most sense for game development, since it's there's a direct mapping between the code and the simulation. And if you don't need that much performance, such as in this game, then there's even less reason to go for anything else.

Ulydev wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm Looks T H I C C
Great job!
Thanks!

grump wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm Any reasons why you chose this approach instead of using the wiki?

Did you plan on making the tutorial right from the beginning?

Would you mind sharing a (ballpark) number of how many of the tutorials you've sold after some while?
The wiki doesn't allow comments.

Yes. I've been meaning to both write something like this for a while and to also finish a simple but complex enough game on my own. So doing both seemed like a good idea.

Yes, PM me in a few weeks about this.