LÖVE 11.1 released!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
fluffy
Prole

Re: LÖVE 11.1 released!

Post by fluffy » Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Is there a way of bundling my .love file into the AppImage bundle, the same way that I can bundle my .love file into the Windows executable or the macOS .app? I'm excited for the possibility of finally having a standalone Linux release!

raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:44 pm

Linux distros in general move away from ability to run executables from file browser. So using AppImage might not be the best idea.

This didn't used to be a problem but apparently the Windows Way is creeping its way into Linux and this is what it takes to stop it. Frankly, I support it. The Windows Way of handling executables is terrible, it needs to be entirely abolished, but if not that, at least contained to Windows.

fluffy
Prole

Post by fluffy » Thu May 17, 2018 12:22 am

I'm aware of that, but this is for distribution on itch.io and Steam.

Anyway, I ended up making a wrapper script that calls the correct AppImage bundle and the .love file so that I can have a "universal" distribution.

ivan
Party member

Post by ivan » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 am

Hey, I have a question/suggestion about one of the features in 11.X
"Added formal deprecation warnings, on by default for non-fused games."
Any way to print custom text using these warnings?
Perhaps something like "love.warn(sz)"
That could be handy for debugging, especially on mobile platforms. :)

bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes » Thu May 17, 2018 3:30 pm

fluffy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 pm
Is there a way of bundling my .love file into the AppImage bundle, the same way that I can bundle my .love file into the Windows executable or the macOS .app?
Yes, please read https://bitbucket.org/bartbes/love-linu ... Started.md. Note that you can download a premade tarball (see the "other downloads" link on the homepage), so you only need to do the appimage step, and of course the customisation.

DarkShroom
Citizen

Post by DarkShroom » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 am

@slime if he reads it... now yunno the colour thing lol (you'd chucked me a trail example, thanks so much for that), anyway i agree... yeah this required a bit of change through may parts of my code that essentially had to divide and multiple by 255

nice work :)

edit: er sorry grump gave me that code, my mistake, anyway like i say i agree with that change