Running LOVE2D on Linux without Install

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
EliterScripts
Citizen

Running LOVE2D on Linux without Install

Post by EliterScripts »

So I would really think it would be cool is if I could give my Linux users a copy of my game without them having to install LOVE2D.

Now, I remember a while back (back when I still used Windows on a daily basis), I was able to slap all the LOVE2D libraries inside of a .love file and get it into a '.exe' file and be able to run it on non-LOVE2D boxes. However, I forgot how to do this one Windows, and I have no idea how I could get it done for a Linux box.

I'm also running into a problem where I want to implement a little bit of game security with using HTTPS. I found a library thing here: https://github.com/brunoos/luasec but it requires that OpenSSL be installed on the box, or a path to the library/binaries. What would be nice is if I could include OpenSSL inside of my game and not have to do any external stuff, but I have no idea how that magic works.

That brings me to my next issue: I heavily favor Linux (Ubuntu), but I also want to be able to keep the game pretty much the same code across all platforms, so I don't screw over my Windows users. If I do have to install OpenSSL, I have to manage several different installations--Windows OpenSSL, Ubuntu/Debian OpenSSL, and any other flavor of Linux I want to support, because one size does not fit all with installing this common library on machines (like RedHet/CentOS need yum instead of apt).
grump
Party member

Re: Running LOVE2D on Linux without Install

Post by grump »

There is an AppImage distribution available that works without installation. You can modify it to include your game and required libraries.

See polyamory for reference. The wrapper-love script runs the LÖVE app that is included in the AppImage.