One big image vs multiple love.graphics.print type statements

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
randy0428
Citizen

One big image vs multiple love.graphics.print type statements

Post by randy0428 »

I was experimenting with löve’s print, rectangle, circle and draw functions. The attached screenshot is the result. I thought it looked kind of cool and I’m thinking of making something similar to use as a splash screen for my games.

And I started wondering if it would be better if I create a single image file to use or if it would be better to use the print, rectangle and circle functions. I suspect including the draw function to draw other images would make this question moot, since drawing multiple small images would probably use more resources than 1 large image. -Or am I wrong about this.

Anyway, which would be more efficient, using a single, large graphic image or using 20 (or more) print, rectangle and circle functions?
Attachments
splash_idea.png
splash_idea.png (61.8 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
Darlex
Party member

Re: One big image vs multiple love.graphics.print type statements

Post by Darlex »

randy0428 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:53 am I was experimenting with löve’s print, rectangle, circle and draw functions. The attached screenshot is the result. I thought it looked kind of cool and I’m thinking of making something similar to use as a splash screen for my games.

And I started wondering if it would be better if I create a single image file to use or if it would be better to use the print, rectangle and circle functions. I suspect including the draw function to draw other images would make this question moot, since drawing multiple small images would probably use more resources than 1 large image. -Or am I wrong about this.

Anyway, which would be more efficient, using a single, large graphic image or using 20 (or more) print, rectangle and circle functions?
If you feel comfortable with the print functions, Do it, if not, Better make a image on some image editor
Hi! I wish you have an amazing day!
zorg
Party member

Re: One big image vs multiple love.graphics.print type statements

Post by zorg »

Efficient is relative; one image will take up more vram on the gpu, but it'll only be one drawcall; many primitive objects or texts are also a bit more expensive but not by much that you couldn't or even shouldn't use them; all that said, it's really up to you.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
randy0428
Citizen

Re: THANKS - One big image vs multiple love.graphics.print type statements

Post by randy0428 »

Thanks Darlex and zorg.