Proposal for a new Love2d IDE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
sephoric
Prole

Proposal for a new Love2d IDE

Post by sephoric »

It recently occurred to me[1] that I have the ability to make an IDE for Love2d with the following features:

1. Same editor used in VS Code (google "Monaco editor")
2. Full auto-completion of Love2d API in the editor
3. Console or REPL for running code within Love2d while the program is running and inspecting its output, similar to a browser's dev console
4. Full, searchable documentation viewer built-into the IDE window
5. Completely self-contained, no need to install Love2d or anything else, just download and install the IDE (tentatively named Charity2d)
6. Would be cross-platform since it would use Electron
7. Could eventually have more features like a sprite-editor tab similar to what PICO-8 has maybe?

Would anyone be interested in having this kind of thing? Or working with me to build it? Or sponsoring me building it? Obviously it would be open source just like Love2d.

[1]: A lot of these ideas came from realizing that I already solved this exact problem with my window manager: https://sephware.com/autumn/ because there were already widow managers that were "just an API" but there were too ephemeral and not as easy to setup and use, and had no concrete "app" that accompanied it. So I created an IDE for my window manager with all these features, and I realized I can make the same kind of IDE for Love2d to make it super easy for beginners and experts alike.
yetneverdone
Party member

Re: Proposal for a new Love2d IDE

Post by yetneverdone »

Why not fork vscode or make an extensible extension for it?

Hide, the heaps game engine ide is a fork of vscode, so there would be less writing.
sephoric
Prole

Post by sephoric »

There's a lot more we can do with a dedicated editor or IDE that is specific to LÖVE. So many features we can specifically make that are difficult or impossible to make as plugins for other IDEs that are meant for very different kinds of purposes. This could have a built-in documentation viewer that fully works offline and is very easy and convenient to use. It could have a built-in section to find and install third party LÖVE-specific libraries. It could have a built-in sprite editor or sound effects editor. So many possibilities like this to make the ultimate game making platform built around LÖVE'.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

If that's the case, then go, I'm interested in that kind of ide for löve.

Ps. Love for linux
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

The "documentation made easy to navigate part" sound good. Other than that I don't really see any feature that can't be implemented otherwise. Good luck anyway
Nedok
Prole

Post by Nedok »

I do see how this could be a good thing. I recommend adding some static analysis as well. Maybe luacheck could be good for that.
https://github.com/mpeterv/luacheck
bbsamurai
Prole

Post by bbsamurai »

Hello sephoric. I really like your idea of having a Love2D IDE. I took a quick glance at your window manager Autumn, and liked the product and implementation. I'm new to programming. I'm using Love2D and other tools as a means to learn how to program. However, I'm interested in learning and seen your idea of a new Love2D IDE come to fruition. How can I help?
Sheepolution
Party member

Post by Sheepolution »

Sounds great! Build in hotswap would be great as well if that's in the realm of possibilities.
weepy
Prole

Post by weepy »

Breakpoint support like Zerobrane studio would be essential for me.
Yeahyay
Prole

Post by Yeahyay »

Wondering if this can still be done despite no activity. I'd really like an IDE tailored to love.