wwwoooo

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ǝıuusןısn
Prole

wwwoooo

Post by ǝıuusןısn »

Hello, greetings!
how are you loving!
nice to mmeet you, love!

been eyeing love2d for quite a while
qute and amazing, how do i start?

how do i export to android, web, desktop, console?

is it okay?

i have the art-setts.
but i don't know how to prepare placeholders.

and working without IDEs sure is damn hard. sniff.

chheeers!
4vZEROv
Party member

Re: wwwoooo

Post by 4vZEROv »

Hello, why are you typing 2 times some letters ?
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

You start by creating a file called "main.lua" and putting your code in it. From there, it's the same process as with any Lua program.

You don't export to web. There's a web runner but it's substandard. Desktop is default, you don't need to export anything - you just run the program. Creating a mobile app takes some effort, there's wiki pages about it. Consoles are nominally not supported because of their proprietary technologies and NDAs but you can get it to work without too much effort, you can ask people on twitter for specific solutions - once you signed the NDAs.

In my experience, using an IDE doesn't makes it any easier. To a bare text editor, it adds very little.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Not sure what placeholders you want to prepare if you already have "art sets", but if by "is it okay?" you're asking whether the framework itself is good or not, then yes, it's very performant and relatively easy to use.

also, you might want to drink decaf, just saying
or was this a bot and we've been bamboozled again?
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

You seem too excited.

My best guess is that you're looking more of an engine rather than a framework.
ǝıuusןısn
Prole

Post by ǝıuusןısn »

Hello!
Okay, maybe too excited.

I have only got my art-ssets or assets.

I want to test it right away, this assets, in jpg and similarly, so that it shows inside those framework(what's a framework?)
the modified .exes, or .apks

How do i do that?

And no, maybe no engines....i'm afraid they'll glitch,, bug and splatter all over.
So, looking to implement only the rightest, best codes inside, the best way.
most transparent way of debugging
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

I'm not that good in explaining the difference between a Framework and an Engine, so here's a 6-minute video tackling on the topic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cEXWosFtA

My first evaluation is that what you need was a Game Engine because you already have the arts an assets. But because you want your "best codes inside", and "most transparent way of debugging", I change my mind. Love2D Framework is enough for you.

Since that's the case, I lead you to 2 links from the Main Wiki Page:
1. Getting Started - I believe that sections Making Games and Running Games will be enough for you.
2. Game Distribution / Exporting Games - Desktop and Android are there. I'm not sure about Web-based though.
ǝıuusןısn
Prole

Post by ǝıuusןısn »

Ah, ok sphyrth, that's very neat.

I was afraid the abstraction does not serve the term...engine, framework... obviously
framework is uh, "simpler" than engine, and have more work to do.

Thanks alot for the links!
ǝıuusןısn
Prole

Post by ǝıuusןısn »

Btw, which one is more stable? framework or engine?

which one is less prone to bugs and glitches like, clipping in cameras, undetected collission, or are these purely code error than
tools? i just did some reading and it seems error is more universal and basic than code...
and i came to learn programming in expectation of less bugs and errors that i cannot solve...
Nelvin
Party member

Post by Nelvin »

All things equal, for obvious reasons a framework would be less prone to bugs as it's just less and lowerlevel code with less potential for sideeffects due to the usage/data. But there's no such realworld situation where all things are equal so in the end it highly depends.

The very general rule of thumb in almost all cases though is, bugs, typically are to be found in your own code and not in the framework/compiler/engine/whatever, as long as it's in a reasonably state and not something very new/experimental. Of course all those have bugs too, even hardware like CPUs, does have those but of all the bugs you'll face, it's just very rare it's not your own fault.

Simple suggestion, don't overthink your decision and just get your feet wet with whatever seem to be a good choice (like, Löve) and get started. Given your questions you're probably not an experienced dev already, so you'll have *a lot* of bugs (most you won't even notice for a long time), write code that makes no sense, design stupid datastructs etc.. It doesn't matter that much what you use to start gaining experience compared to just start doing. Like, you can spend all day finding the right tool to write a great novel but it's going to be useless compared to using Microsoft Notepad and just start writing.