LÖVE 0.8.0 Released

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
tomriddle
Prole

Re: LÖVE 0.8.0 Released

Post by tomriddle »

AWESOME! Thanks for the continued development on this :awesome:
Will there ever be a Canvas/JS/HTML port of LOVE? Perhaps a wrapper of some sort?
Bascially this has superseded GameMaker for me. Not sure if any of you guys ever used it, but I started using GameMaker to make (crappy) games back when I was 12. Fun times.
I'm a Web Developer who does Web Design. Ask me if you need help!
Elena5
Prole

Post by Elena5 »

What are your current/future plans on Löve?
markovacosta
Prole

Post by markovacosta »

thank you for ensuring that Love continues with the latest upgrades and software development. Hope we have a massive adverts for Love so other users can also benefit from LOVE :ultrahappy: ... but on second thought, I might not want to share LOVE at all :x :shock: :ultrahappy:
live the life you want with homes costa del sol.
ston
Prole

Post by ston »

Thanks love development team!

I have a quick question about paths. My main.lua typically brings in other local-directory .lua files, e.g. require "somefile.lua" but these files cannot now be found (worked fine in the previous version). How do I tell love 0.8.0 to search the local directory for these files?

TIA :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

That's because your syntax for require is wrong, if you have a file "some/file.lua", you do require("some.file").
ston
Prole

Post by ston »

bartbes wrote:That's because your syntax for require is wrong, if you have a file "some/file.lua", you do require("some.file").
ty, dropping the .lua extension works OK.

Is this a change in love or in lua do you know? Passing the full filenames (i.e. including the file extension) to require always worked before now.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

ston wrote:Passing the full filenames (i.e. including the file extension) to require always worked before now.
This was the behaviour of the LÖVE package loader before 0.8.0. It was changed to mirror the behaviour of Lua itself where, by default, it searches for the appropriate extension itself.

You can change this behaviour for Lua with the global variable package.path, but the LÖVE loader has a hardcoded pattern that you cannot change.

And to clarify why there's a LÖVE loader: Lua searches in some specific library paths (depending on the OS) and the working directory. The LÖVE loader searches in the game directory/archive and save directory.
Shallow indentations.
ston
Prole

Post by ston »

Thanks Boolsheet, that's very informative :-)

I might not have noticed this before as I've probably only used require when writing lua code to run in love. Any 'lua only' code I've written has been ad-hoc snippets used to solve problems for love development (or to help me learn the language).
elevitate
Prole

Post by elevitate »

Hey, was looking for an 'introduce yourself' kind of thread, this seems a good bet. My avatar took a full minute of back-breaking effort - I'll make a better one when I have the time!

Looking forward to getting to grips with Love.

edit: Oops, this was supposed to be in the Avatars thread. What a start...
davei1442d
Prole

Post by davei1442d »

Cool :awesome: Thanks!

I hope it gets updated more often. And with more user requested features.
Regards,
dave
find a girlfriend