Official graphical interface for LOVE

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
tonymin
Prole

Official graphical interface for LOVE

Post by tonymin »

Good evening! What you think about official graphical interface for LOVE? I think that this is good idea! Why are developers still not doing this? Wouldn't that be cool? :awesome:
zorg
Party member

Re: Official graphical interface for LOVE

Post by zorg »

Not sure whether you mean an IDE like ZeroBrane Studio, or a GUI for games like Nuklear.

Both of those things are (unsurprisingly) hella complicated; not to mention that with GUIs, there's a tradeoff between freedom of how you want to code vs. what the GUI expects of you. People have tried and usually stopped working on such projects.

That said, i'm not sure either type of thing you might have meant would benefit from löve having -one- as "officially supported". Look for one and if it's to your liking, just use it.

Here's a neat list of stuff, although it's telling that it lacks a GUI category...
https://github.com/love2d-community/awesome-love2d#ides
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Varkas
Citizen

Re: Official graphical interface for LOVE

Post by Varkas »

In case of graphical user interfaces - they differ a lot from game to game. Also many games get away with some clickable areas, so all they need is to find out where the user has clicked.

As Zorg said, making a UI toolkit that is flexible enough to suit many games and at the same time comfortable and easy to use is really hard, maybe impossible to make. For my project I've started my own, inspired by the way Java does it. Implementing a container class and buttons were only a matter of 1 or 2 hours, but well, as said before, it probably would not suit many other games well. Probably that is also a reason why there is no official and generic one - it's not that hard to make a game-specific one.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.