having a difficult time learning love

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
HaitamDragon
Prole

having a difficult time learning love

Post by HaitamDragon »

hello am a beginner with no programming knowledge i was following a love2D tutorial made by sheepolution and in later in the chapters i find myself not understanding anything while i see this long code i get fustrated and asking myself how am i supposed to remember this?, also why people say love2D is for beginners? is it like this or should i change?

anyways thanks for your anwsers!.
tomyatemo
Prole

Re: having a difficult time learning love

Post by tomyatemo »

looking at the tutorial (I'm assuming you mean this one: https://sheepolution.com/learn/book/contents) you don't need to memorise everything that's there in order to make a game.

I would say that if you read until chapter 8 (and check out chapter 11) you have all the basic tools to start making small proyects.
2D Videogames are basically images that move anyways, you can learn about collision, physics, UI and other things when you need them.

so I would advice you to start creating a small game (like an arcade game) and when you are lost you can search the internet or ask :O
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Compared to some other approaches Love2d indeed is easy, but it still requires you to learn programming. I've met quite some people who told me that they just can't wrap their head around this, and programming is not for them. Well I guess it really is this way. Different people have different talents.

If you can't get into programming even after trying for a while, there are some "point-and-click" game making systems. I can't give recommendations because I never used any, but from what I heard there must be some. Maybe "game maker" will be a keyword for google searches ... that is/was a specific tool but might help to find more in the same vein.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

Recommendation 1
I personally don't recommend more advanced text editors if you're really just starting. Just Notepad will do the trick.
Just in case, the simplest way of running Love2D is in Getting Started.

Recommendation 2
Sheepolution's simplest tutorial is in Chapter 5 and Chapter 6.

I can't speak with the eyes of a person who started Love2D without programming knowledge, but the Main Page was the very thing that sold me. From my programmer's eyes, those are the simplest code you can write for just displaying something.
Snippet.png
Snippet.png (37.11 KiB) Viewed 4679 times
EmmaGees
Prole

Post by EmmaGees »

Clickbait name in my opinion but still a good source for learning:
Learn Lua in 15 Minutes

Also you're not supposed to memorize per say, you're supposed to learn the principles behind Lua, once you understand the basics of computer logic and Lua you can do anything if you put your mind to it.