Software engineering or Computer Science

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
SPlice
Prole

Re: Software engineering or Computer Science

Post by SPlice »

I work in industry now and I would say if your goal is to get a high paying job it does not matter. A related degree and good grades are required to get your foot in the door but its only to check a box. How you interview, related experiance, and having a passion for the work is far more important.

Do an internship or some kind of related work while you are in school. Practice your craft in your free time on personal projects, this is a big as and it shows you have drive and care about what you do. Learn to interview well. This is all about being confident and being able to intelligently answer questions you do not know the answer too. Don't BS the answers, this does not pass. It is better to say you don't know and explain how you would find out the answer.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

SPlice wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:22 pm I work in industry now and I would say if your goal is to get a high paying job it does not matter. A related degree and good grades are required to get your foot in the door but its only to check a box. How you interview, related experiance, and having a passion for the work is far more important.

Do an internship or some kind of related work while you are in school. Practice your craft in your free time on personal projects, this is a big as and it shows you have drive and care about what you do. Learn to interview well. This is all about being confident and being able to intelligently answer questions you do not know the answer too. Don't BS the answers, this does not pass. It is better to say you don't know and explain how you would find out the answer.
Nice advice, especially the last part, thnx.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

So from all this I guess computer science would be better for me, though probably harder, than software engineering. Thnx for all the replies.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh: