Checking if anyone has got JUMPER to work recently?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
togFox
Party member

Checking if anyone has got JUMPER to work recently?

Post by togFox »

The code is quite old. I follow instructions precisely but my console says:

Code: Select all

Error: jumper/grid.lua:81: Bad argument #1. Not a valid map
stack traceback:
        [string "boot.lua"]:777: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:773>
        [C]: in function 'assert'
        jumper/grid.lua:81: in function 'Grid'
It's saying my collision map (2D table) is not a valid map. Pretty sure it is but the JUMPER code is not noob friendly so idk - just checking if there are known issues with this aging code.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
togFox
Party member

Re: Checking if anyone has got JUMPER to work recently?

Post by togFox »

Edit: hold that thought. I've tried various wiki pages, githubs and blog sites using the same Yonaba code and I found they are mostly broken EXCEPT for the one on the LOVE Wiki.

Who would have thought!! Great community - well done whoever. :)
Current project:
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Edit: jumper works fine with the documented example but not with my table. I'm translating a table of classes into a 'normal' collision map and I'm doing something wrong.

Doesn't change the fact that all the githubs, forks and blogs are outdated except for LOVE Wiki. :)
Current project:
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

togFox wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 am Doesn't change the fact that all the githubs, forks and blogs are outdated except for LOVE Wiki. :)
What? The Löve Wiki for Jumper points to the author's repository, which is the only authoritative source, unless it was forked because it was abandoned, which I don't think is the case for this project. If you look in random places rather than on the original source, you can't expect it to be up-to-date.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

The original source in the authors github is 8 years old and if you copy/paste into a new main.lua it doesn't work. The author is ignoring pull requests (across his whole github generally speaking) so it is effectively broken (for LOVE) and is abandoned.

However - the wiki page (that you linked) has code from the author embedded into the wiki and it works. I can see in the wiki history that someone fixed the wiki version in July 2020. The original github is abandoned and bugged. The almost-same-code on LOVE wiki works fine.

The point is - this community is awesome. :)
Current project:
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

The original source was started in 2012; by comparison, Löve was started in 2007, so by that standard, Jumper is 5 years more modern than Löve.

Last commit to Jumper is from October 2019, less than 2 years ago. For comparison, Löve 11.0 was released in April 2018, three years ago.

Even more, Jumper is independent of Löve and it works with Lua 5.1, therefore it doesn't matter whether new Löve versions continue to be released: if Jumper worked with Lua 5.1 in 2014, the same code will work with Lua 5.1 in 2021. Of course, working with Lua 5.1 means working with LuaJIT, which in turn means it works with any Löve version using Lua 5.1 or LuaJIT.

From your comments, it sounds like you found example programs that don't work with whatever version of Jumper you are using. That's an entirely different issue, and has nothing to do with that perceived obsolescence of Jumper. Sometimes, creators decide to change APIs or to make incompatible changes, and that can render existing examples obsolete. For these cases, you'd have to find which version a certain blog used. The ones to blame, if anyone, are the blog authors, for not specifying which version they used, and to a lesser extent, for not updating their posts to work with newer versions.

Edit: I've tested the program in README and the ones in the examples/ subdirectory. They all work for me. By contrast, the one in the wiki does not work. This suggests that you're using an outdated version. Declaring that the software is old, implying that that makes it worse somehow, while using an outdated version is somewhat rude.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

If your problem is invalid map, I had that problem too because my map wasn't an array (had negative x and y values) and at one point the values of each map held a class value, not into or string, in them so it didn't work for jumper. I then removed the array check in jumper/core/assert.isMap and made it also allow tables

if not arrayContentsMatch(m[k],"string","int") 
to

if not arrayContentsMatch(m[k],"string","int","table") 
and it worked. Eventually I just made it return true because I was sure my map was orderly. Has worked since then.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Yes. Invalid map. I transformed my grid of classes to a normal collision map to feed into jumper but getting that wrong will obviously break jumper. My challenge is that jumper is hard to debug so it got really frustrating for a while.

What you described sounds right and it was a pathway I serially considered before finding the love wiki version worked immediately for reasons I still don't understand.
Current project:
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

togFox wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:21 am What you described sounds right and it was a pathway I serially considered before finding the love wiki version worked immediately for reasons I still don't understand.
pgimeno wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:40 pm ...
Edit: I've tested the program in README and the ones in the examples/ subdirectory. They all work for me. By contrast, the one in the wiki does not work. This suggests that you're using an outdated version. Declaring that the software is old, implying that that makes it worse somehow, while using an outdated version is somewhat rude.
Emphasis' mine;
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.