This may be very noob, but Particle Collision?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
osgeld
Party member

Re: This may be very noob, but Particle Collision?

Post by osgeld »

not all of us are 110% accustom to reading lua + love "code"
This may be very noob
DustinEwan
Prole

Post by DustinEwan »

Robin wrote:I'm not sure what you mean here... doesn't reading the source give you the necessary information?
Right, it gives an excellent example for generation of bodies/shapes and applying love.physics to detect collision between those shapes. However, I am wondering if it is possible to do this using a ParticleSystem to generate the particles and detect collisions between particles and other entities.

According to my understanding of the love.physics model, a body and a shape must also be generated for each individual particle that is generated by the ParticleSystem in order to detect collision. I'm wondering if this is possible, or are particles only for show and therefore cannot be used for interaction?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

DustinEwan wrote:or are particles only for show and therefore cannot be used for interaction?
I think so, since they are very different components of LÖVE. And look at it this way: imagine how slow it would be if every particle would have a body and a shape, that must be checked for collisions every update, plus the continuous creation and deletion of many of them would probably swamp all memory.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
DustinEwan
Prole

Post by DustinEwan »

Yeah, that makes sense to me, but, in my mind, to emulate that functionality using sprites, objects, and shapes has the exact same issues anyway.. -sigh- oh well.

Alright then, thank you very much. That answers my question. :)