Change in how love2d deals with folders on OSX?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Change in how love2d deals with folders on OSX?

Post by Lafolie »

This is most odd because I can double click 0.8.0 love files on both Snow Leopard and Lion without any problems (not that I do because cmd+o is faster, or a spotlight search in most cases is even faster).
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Change in how love2d deals with folders on OSX?

Post by Jasoco »

nunix wrote:So since apparently it's a .8.0 thing, is there a way to set up something in OSX to restore this functionality? Automator script or folder action or something? (I am not an OSX power user, obviously)
Is your problem that you can't drag the folder/.love package to the Löve.app as well? If so you could probably set up an Automator script or something. I dunno. All I know is 0.7.2 always worked. It's since 0.8.0 that I have to go a little further to open a packaged .love or folder instead of a Zipped .love.

Doesn't matter much for my own projects since I use the Terminal, or for downloaded demos from the forum when still in ZIP form because those still open for the most part. It's just packages and folders that 0.8.0 won't accept as their own. As if a MIME type or something isn't set correctly for the OS X version. On OS X, packages are first class citizens. Many files that look like a single file are actually packages. They just have their identity hidden from the end user. The iPhoto Library, all .app "files", even RTF files with images in them made by TextEdit were/are packages, Widgets for Dashboard. OS X just treats them as a file full of resources. And apps can treat them as files along with files themselves. 0.8.0 has this capability. It just has the options hidden from Finder usage.
Lafolie wrote:This is most odd because I can double click 0.8.0 love files on both Snow Leopard and Lion without any problems (not that I do because cmd+o is faster, or a spotlight search in most cases is even faster).
.love files =/= .love packages. One is a .zip file with a new extension, the other is a folder with the resources in it.