Love for iPhone?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
k9rosie
Prole

Love for iPhone?

Post by k9rosie »

Is it possible to port this to iPhone?
appleide
Party member

Re: Love for iPhone?

Post by appleide »

Maybe, but I thought they don't let programs that can interpret code?

EDIT: I meant "I think they don't let you distribute applications that can run scripts on itunes store"... was a bit rude, sorry.
kalle2990
Party member

Post by kalle2990 »

Porting to android would be easier, I'm creating some games for it (in java of course) and I find it very easy :) Although, I don't think it could be made into a love file. A normal folder in the app root would be easier, which means everyone creating a game would need the SDK. But luckily it's free, compared to the iPhone one :x
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

We've had this conversation before. It'd be awesome if the Löve runtime could be ported to work on an iPhone, iPod touch and now iPad, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Not until all the libraries that Löve depends on are ported, and whoever decides to take charge of the project actually decides to take charge of it. There's a lot you'd need to do. Mouse stuff, joystick stuff and keyboard stuff would be pretty much useless, but would be replaced with multi-touch which would be a little different since you can have many "mice" pointing and clicking the screen at once. And there wouldn't be a getX or getY. Instead it'd be given when the user touched the screen.

I like to dream about it, but am not holding my breath. But goddamn wouldn't an iPad version of Löve be sweet? 1024x768 pixels of touch-screen awesome.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:But goddamn wouldn't an iPad version of Löve be sweet?
Meh.

A browser plug-in, on the other hand...
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I don't want to run my games in a f-ing browser. I want to run them natively! Unless you mean desktop browsers, which would be pretty cool. I mean, look at Unity. They have a Web Browser Plugin. Though I've never EVER run into a Unity game in my travels on the internets.

Problem is browser plugins are a pain in the ass to end users. Just something new they have to install, and most people are trying to shy away from the ones that already exist. So making a new one would be a massive flop.

Native iPad apps would rock though. Take the same concept as the current OS X Löve where you can place a .love file in the Resources folder inside the .ipa bundle. .ipa's are iPhone Applications and are actually renamed zip files, like most .love files. To see for yourself, find your Applications in your iTunes music folder and rename one to zip. (No, don't really do it. Make a copy first and rename the copy.) You'll see the resources all inside the new folder that comes out.

But it's all a dream right now.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:I don't want to run my games in a f-ing browser. I want to run them natively! Unless you mean desktop browsers, which would be pretty cool.
I probably should have said I don't have a iPhone, nor anything else smaller than an Eee-PC capable of running LÖVE. So, yeah, desktop browsers. ;)
Jasoco wrote:Problem is browser plugins are a pain in the ass to end users. Just something new they have to install, and most people are trying to shy away from the ones that already exist. So making a new one would be a massive flop.
I know. And that makes me feel rather emo. :emo:

Oh wait it doesn't.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Avalon
Prole

Post by Avalon »

I don't want to run my games in a f-ing browser. I want to run them natively!
You might think that, but given the boom in web based applications, others would disagree.
Problem is browser plugins are a pain in the ass to end users. Just something new they have to install, and most people are trying to shy away from the ones that already exist. So making a new one would be a massive flop.
Entirely incorrect. Take Flash, that's a browser plugin used for game development... and people aren't really shying away from it, despite what you might same or think. Also, look at Unity - uptake of the browser plugin is on a signification rise. :)

I'm all for a browser plugin.
k9rosie
Prole

Post by k9rosie »

appleide wrote:Maybe, but I thought they don't let programs that can interpret code?

EDIT: I meant "I think they don't let you distribute applications that can run scripts on itunes store"... was a bit rude, sorry.
Well, you could distribute the game. So that it doesn't need LOVE (haha). Like you do with the computer.

Fuse it with LOVE, is a better way to say it.