Looping audio problem

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
IndieKid
Citizen

Re: Looping audio problem

Post by IndieKid »

celynwalters wrote:You might have to use headphones to hear it, it's a bit lower than I wanted it.
When I exported it with Audacity, I only got an option of quality, 1-10, so I chose 10.
VLC says it is 499 kb/s... whoah.
The audio file is about 3 seconds long, don't know what to suggest if this one doesn't work.
looping2.love
This is awesome! :o You helped me a lot! Really thanks! I will fix everything so my game will have sound. Thanks again!

P.S. I used garage band to create music for game(it also loops). And when exporting song there you can choose quality. There are two best options: iTunes Plus(256 Kbps) and even "no compressing"(44,1 KHz 16 bit)(it's a cd quality). Before I tried 192 Kbps but it seems that I have to try one of theese. And yeah one other reason why I had trouble may be the way I used to loop audio(I didn't use :setLooping(), I used to check if it stops and then start it again).

And don't try to make 8-bit sound via OGG(it won't play even 64 Kbps). Yeah I tried :?
Last edited by IndieKid on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
celynwalters
Prole

Post by celynwalters »

I guess the thanks mostly goes to Boolsheet :3
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

celynwalters wrote:I guess the thanks mostly goes to Boolsheet :3
Sure, thank you and @Boolsheet.
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Post by Boolsheet »

You're still calling love.audio.play on every frame. You've been warned about the bug. :P

The OS X OpenAL implementation seems to have some issues. It returns bogus values on some API call which causes LÖVE to do more work than necessary with streaming Sources and the performance will drop. That may be the lag you experienced. Sadly, nobody figured out what exactly goes wrong. Don't know about the crashing, though.
Shallow indentations.
celynwalters
Prole

Post by celynwalters »

I was in a bit of a rush, I knew, but thanks for the reminder :crazy:
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

IndieKid wrote: And don't try to make 8-bit sound via OGG(it won't play even 64 Kbps). Yeah I tried :?
What do you mean by 8-bit sound? The "Kbps" measure is entirely different from the bit-depth (which would ideally be 24-bit). If you mean 8-bit as in NES-style sound, this is easy to accomplish by rendering lofi signals into a practical audio format.

I long for a LÖVE with FLAC, then there'd be no worries about anything. No kbps, 24-bit depth, high quality audio.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Lafolie wrote:
IndieKid wrote:I long for a LÖVE with FLAC, then there'd be no worries about anything. No kbps, 24-bit depth, high quality audio.
Unnecessarily large file sizes... ;)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Necessarily large! You are right, FLAC sizes can be huuuge, but I personally find it worth the trade-off.

Perhaps the average user wouldn't notice (or wouldn't even have the facility to notice) the difference between the two. Perhaps not all audio should be FLAC, just music? Ah, but then think of all the richness you lose in all those sound effects by compressing them into these older formats!

There's a lot to consider, from distribution, storage space and hardware. I guess the lossy formats are more friendly in all these areas for the time being.

But yeah... quality or ease of access? Haha. I'd say that this would be a tough decision, but FLAC isn't enabled for LÖVE (yet???).
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Lafolie wrote:Necessarily large! You are right, FLAC sizes can be huuuge, but I personally find it worth the trade-off.

Perhaps the average user wouldn't notice (or wouldn't even have the facility to notice) the difference between the two. Perhaps not all audio should be FLAC, just music? Ah, but then think of all the richness you lose in all those sound effects by compressing them into these older formats!

There's a lot to consider, from distribution, storage space and hardware. I guess the lossy formats are more friendly in all these areas for the time being.

But yeah... quality or ease of access? Haha. I'd say that this would be a tough decision, but FLAC isn't enabled for LÖVE (yet???).
Realistically, it's not really possible to determine a difference between high quality ogg/mp3 and FLAC/wav. When playing a game, it's even more difficult than normal to notice a difference between lossless and highly compressed lossy audio because you probably don't have absolutely all of your concentration on the audio.

It's often a good idea to keep lossless versions of your original audio files around so you can re-compress them whenever you want without a buildup of quality loss, but putting them in your .love or final game would only increase the file size for no practical gain.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Perhaps my opinion is a little biased. I'd not considered that attention would be on the visual, I guess I pay more attention to the background music than the average person, hehe.

As I say, you make a good point. I'll certainly test this out in the future and see how people react to it. :)