terrible performance

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rubble
Prole

terrible performance

Post by rubble »

Hi there. Is there any particular reason you chaps can think of that love runs horribly slowly? I tried all the demos and each of them suffers from a consistent juddering. It looks a little as if each second the frame rate drops from 30 to 0 then the game/animation staggers on for another second before juddering again. I appreciate it may be hard to offer advice for one person's platform, but any thoughts gratefully received.

I've got a quad core XP machine with an ATi 4670 card and an ATI 3450 card - both judder, although both are perfectly capable of drawing the amount of stuff in those demos.

Cheers,

Rubble
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: terrible performance

Post by bartbes »

Looking at the specs I'm guessing you know what you're doing but just to make sure: you have installed the ati drivers, right?
rubble
Prole

Post by rubble »

lol yes. Latest catalyst drivers and able to run everything from Source to Modern Warfare 2 with no problems.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

And this always happens, even on a hello world demo?
rubble
Prole

Post by rubble »

Yup - everything love related installed with the package - for instance the particles demo. It can clearly handle drawing the particles, because it chucks them out to the screen perfectly, then stutters, then keeps drawing, then stutters etc

I've turned off anti-virus, killed any running applications - still no joy. LOVE claims to be using 20 percent of cpu system resources in the task manager, although obviously only on one core. I've altered the afinity and thread priority as well, just in case. Things that I think might be happening - its

a) running too fast and tripping over itself. Odd but I've seen this happen in games development. Odd that all the demos would have this problem
b) competing for interrupts with something I can't find on my system
c) needs net 2.0 or similar resource but tries to run in software mode without it
d) is confused by vsync in some way

but frankly I'm quite puzzled. Perhaps my PC is horribly damaged in some way.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

rubble wrote:a) running too fast and tripping over itself. Odd but I've seen this happen in games development. Odd that all the demos would have this problem
Might be it.. but I don't think so, make sure vsync is on
rubble wrote:c) needs net 2.0 or similar resource but tries to run in software mode without it
No, it doesn't. All that can be run software is OpenGL I think, and that should be found.
rubble wrote:d) is confused by vsync in some way
You might want to play with the vsync settings in catalyst, though I personally see no reason for it to have any other setting than Application-Controlled.
CyaNox
Prole

Post by CyaNox »

I have the same exact "issue". And slightly better computer specs.

But I know for certain it only happens when vsync is enabled. Disabling vsync usually brings those demos to a whopping 500+ FPS running very smoothly.