Can't run old game

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
imyourhero
Prole

Can't run old game

Post by imyourhero »

Hi,

I don't know if anybody else has had this happen, but I feel like there probably is. If there was already a post on this, I couldn't find it, so I'm sorry. I was working for a while on a game on an old copy of love, and got pretty close to completion. Unfortunately, I had to format my hard drive and reinstall my OS recently, so I backed up the game, and once windows was running again, I reinstalled love. Now, whenever I try to boot up my old game, it just gives a blank screen, without a title or anything for my game, just a black screen called "untitled." Is this a version problem, am I going to have to do some editing, or am I just missing something?

Thanks
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Can't run old game

Post by bartbes »

There was a pretty big API change between 0.5.0 and 0.6.0, thus any game made for 0.5.0 or earlier won't run on 0.6.0 or higher.
giniu
Party member

Post by giniu »

I'd say you should check Porting Your LÖVE to Zero Point Six Point Zero [0.6.0] topic and Automatically converting 0.5.0 games to 0.6.0 + check docs. If you are lucky (depends on your code) you could probably update your game quite quickly to 0.6.x. Good luck :)
imyourhero
Prole

Post by imyourhero »

Hey thanks a lot, the auto-convert didn't work so I'm converting it over by hand little by little. Quick question, what are we using for include now? I'm getting errors with love.filesystem.include.
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Try

Code: Select all

love.filesystem.load("filename")()
The parentheses at the end are important - require returns a function to execute the loaded file. The parentheses execute it.
Last edited by bartbes on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It's load, not require, thought I'd fix it for you
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

imyourhero wrote:Hey thanks a lot, the auto-convert didn't work so I'm converting it over by hand little by little.
Could you tell me what exactly went wrong?

If you get a lot of warnings, that's ok: the whole purpose of it is showing what you need to change, so you can do it. That's the way I choose to make it, because fully automatic conversion might just ruin your project, by over-eagerly replacing things.

It is also a useful tool if you are converting your game by hand, and you want to know how much there is left to do.

EDIT: If you want to replace all the constants of type love.type_constant to "constant": running hand-holder.lua with option -a enables aggressive mode, which automatically replaces any old-style constants left.
Help us help you: attach a .love.