Mac version of my game for a Windows user

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Luiji
Party member

Re: Mac version of my game for a Windows user

Post by Luiji »

ISO does the same functionality, and it is much more popular (by which I mean common and supported). Someone else (I believe thelinx) stated that Apple is trying to move away from incompatibility, and if they do not support ISOs then this is further proof that they have a lot of work to do if this is their true goal.
Good bye.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Luiji wrote:Someone else (I believe thelinx) stated that Apple is trying to move away from incompatibility, and if they do not support ISOs then this is further proof that they have a lot of work to do if this is their true goal.
Not me.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

OS X supports ISO out of the box. I don't know what you're rambling about. ISO images mount on the desktop the same way DMG's do. A disc can be put into either format you choose. The benefit of ISO is for people who want to put cross-platform stuff in there. DMG's should be used when it's Mac specific.

I don't see a problem here. Release all three versions separately in their own ZIP files/DMG's or put all three in one ZIP file or TAR or GZ or whatever. It will save bandwidth to do each separately since you don't need a Mac user wasting bandwidth downloading the Windows and Linux binaries at the same time when they won't use them. Or the other way around. Just have three versions prepared and ready to go uploaded to the website of your choice and offer three links. Each version would be created in its own way, Windows version using CAT, Mac version using the package drop and however Linux is done. (I really don't know a thing about installing or using Linux apps)

Or you can go the stupid route and just offer the .love file and instructions for the user to go to the Love2d website, download the Löve application of their requirements and figure out how to run it themselves.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Sounds like the best thing to do for Mac packaging is to get a Mac-user on one's development team.

Sorry about the Apple-related rambles and off-topicing. It is a merge of:
  • Anger towards Apple for various exagerated reasons.
  • Growing frustration with the noise of the construction crews.
  • Growing frustration with my game.
  • Sadness that Mother 3 will probably never be attainable in English fully legally.
  • Sadness that the Oddworld pentology may never be completed.
  • Inability to sleep at night.
  • Puberty, I guess.
  • Anger towards Facebook for sucking me in and not letting me out.
  • Anger towards inability to think of a company name.
  • Inability to switch Linuxes without an external hard drive (because of all my files).
  • Anger at self for wasting everbody's time.
  • Various other things.
Good bye.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Jasoco wrote:Windows version using CAT, Mac version using the package drop and however Linux is done. (I really don't know a thing about installing or using Linux apps)
cat (yes, lowercase) doesn't exist on windows, where it is a standard linux utility, guess where that method got its name from.
So, linux uses cat, and windows uses type (same idea there though).
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Luiji wrote:Sounds like the best thing to do for Mac packaging is to get a Mac-user on one's development team.

Sorry about the Apple-related rambles and off-topicing. It is a merge of:
[*]Anger towards Apple for various exagerated reasons.
What kind of anger might I ask?

[*]Growing frustration with the noise of the construction crews.
Ugh. I hate that. Especially when they start early in the morning.

[*]Sadness that Mother 3 will probably never be attainable in English fully legally.
It's better this way. The Mother 3 America would have gotten would have been so watered down and lost so much of the impact. The fan translation was amazing. But once you know what they did to ruin EarthBound, you'll realize how much better off we were not getting it. I played the fan translation and beat it and it was the best thing ever.

[*]Anger towards Facebook for sucking me in and not letting me out.
Just let it do its thing. I'm on FaceBook since my 10 year reunion and now I'm so glad that I got back in touch with all my friends from high school whom I hadn't seen since we graduated. FaceBook may scare some people, but if you know how to use it right, it will be the best thing you ever did.

[*]Anger towards inability to think of a company name.
I had mine since 8th grade. And now I can't drop it.

[*]Inability to switch Linuxes without an external hard drive (because of all my files).
They're cheap as dirt.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Hey! No encouraging Luiji to derail threads! :x
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Again, sorry for derailing.

And since there was only one question in that response, I figured I'd answer it in this apology letter.

My anger is at Apple because I believe they are lazy turds who lie to people (exagerated, yes).
  • They claim to be open source people but in reality the only things they make open-source is libraries and stuff that the GPL forces them to make open source. Still much of the OS is proprietary.
  • They put awful licensing restrictions on the iPhone that include the inability to use interpreted code in your application (namely Lua) and the fact that during refunds they make you pay the commission they lost.
  • Vendor lock-in. It's only illegal if they monopolize (sort of), but it still "gets my goat", especially since no MacBooks have removable hard drives!
  • Fanboys. Every Apple "fanboy" (or better put, "fanatic") has annoyed the #### out of me.
Any further discussion of this should be somewhere else, as at this point I fear that I'm starting to "pirate", "derail", and "flame" this topic.
Good bye.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Lazy? They're on of the least laz-- wait.. no. Not gonna do it. I'm out. Tootles.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Okay, so, if I am running Windows or Linux, how do I make an OSX app of my game?