[Solved] How do you use TLfres?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Sabun
Prole

[Solved] How do you use TLfres?

Post by Sabun »

Hi there,

TLfres
So I'm trying to learn the ropes on changing between resolutions and fullscreen/windowed-mode. I've been trying to use TLfres as according to this: https://love2d.org/wiki/TLfres

The first problem I encounted with version 1.0.4 is the following error:

Code: Select all

TLfres.lua:36: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'e' (a nil value)
On inspection of the TLfres.lua file, I changed all the 'e's in letterbox to:

function TLfres.letterbox(w,h, c)
	w,h,c = w or 4, h or 3, c or {0,0,0, 255}
	color(c)

local tall,de = TLfres.e/w*h, TLfres.e*2
	if TLfres.centered then
		rect("fill", -TLfres.e,-TLfres.e, de,TLfres.e-tall)
		rect("fill", -TLfres.e,TLfres.e,  de,tall-TLfres.e)
	else
		local o = (ws-hs) / ws * (TLfres.e-1)
		rect("fill", 0,-o,   de,TLfres.e-tall)
		rect("fill", 0,de-o, de,tall-TLfres.e)
	end
end
This fixed the error, but I'm not sure if I should have done that or not.

Anyhow, I followed the wiki and applied TLfres into my code to test it. Before even changing resolution, my game already looks messed up! I attached an image to show what I mean. The game's original resolution is at 1280x768.

I make sure to call TLfres.setScreen in love.load(), but is this the correct place to call it?

TLfres.setScreen({w=1280,h=768,full=false,vsync=false,aa=0},1280)
My love.draw looks like this:

function love.draw()

TLfres.transform()

--draw backgrounds first, then other stuff
	background_draw()

if gamestate == "menu" then
		button_draw()
	elseif gamestate == "optionmenu" then
		optionbutton_draw()
	end

--draw the frames per second
	love.graphics.print("Current FPS: "..tostring(love.timer.getFPS()), 10, 30)
	TLfres.letterbox(12,9)
end
What could I be doing wrong with TLfres? I've attached TLfres.love so that you may inspect it if needed.

love.graphics.setMove()
I also tried using love.graphics.setMode() instead of the TLfres file. With the setMode(), my game looks fine in windowed-mode. However, when going fullscreen to a resolution of 1920x1080 (my native resolution), a black bar appears on the right and my button's mousepress checks are off to the left of the actual button images. I try to follow what felix24 says here: viewtopic.php?t=8991&p=55448

As such in options.lua I try the following to change from windowed-mode to fullscreen:

function go_fullscreen()
	--sets the game into fullscreen
	--love.graphics.toggleFullscreen()
	love.graphics.setMode( 1920, 1080, true, false, 0)
	scaleAmount = love.graphics.getHeight()/768
	currentHeight = love.graphics.getHeight()	

if scaleAmount > 1 then			--scale up
    		int,fract = math.modf(scaleAmount)
    		movey = currentHeight * fract
	elseif scaleAmount < 1 then		--scale down
    		movey = currentHeight * (1-scaleAmount)
	end
end

function go_windowed()
	--sets the game into windowed mode
	--love.graphics.toggleFullscreen()
	love.graphics.setMode( 1280, 768, false, false, 0)
	scaleAmount = love.graphics.getHeight()/768
	currentHeight = love.graphics.getHeight()	

if scaleAmount > 1 then			--scale up
    		int,fract = math.modf(scaleAmount)
    		movey = currentHeight * fract
	elseif scaleAmount < 1 then		--scale down
    		movey = currentHeight * (1-scaleAmount)
	end
end
Returning to windowed-mode works fine, but going into fullscreen with the resolution changing to 1920x1080 is a problem. I've attached setMode.love so that you may inspect it if needed.

Any help or guidance on the matter is greatly appreciated by me :)
Attachments
setMode.love
(250.24 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
TLfres.love
(248.93 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
TLfres.png
TLfres.png (212.4 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
Last edited by Sabun on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: How do you use TLfres?

Post by Taehl »

Hi there. Sorry about the e thing, must have I messed that up when renaming variables. I've fixed it, so if you like you can re-download it here.

I checked your .love file. The reason the buttons are in odd places is because you move them according to the screen's resolution. Then, when TLfres resizes everything, the buttons are moved further. You should just leave them where they're supposed to be in native res. There's a couple different ways to handle clicking the buttons when the window is a different size... You could scale the mouse's coordinates by the size of the screen, which is what I did. When changing resolutions, you forgot to change your variables screen_width and screen_height, which led to some issues. You also gave the wrong aspect ratio to TLfres.letterbox (1280x768 is 5:3, not 12:9). And since you use full stretching instead of aspect-correct stretching, you don't even need to use letterboxing.

I've attached the fixed .love. I've commented on each thing I changed (search for "corrected"), in main.lua, menu.lua, and options.lua. Hope that helps.
Attachments
TLfres.love
fixed issues described in post
(249.25 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Sabun
Prole

Post by Sabun »

Thank you Taehl for taking the time to reply and help me! :)

I just wish to confirm some things. First, is it the correct way to always place objects using absolute values based on the preset resolution of the game? (e.g 1280x768 here)

Secondly, even after scaling the mouse's coordinates by the screen size, once it goes into 1920x1080 fullscreen it is still slightly off (it highlights the buttons, despite the mouse cursor being above the button). What are some of the other ways to handling clicking buttons when the window size changes?

Thank you for guiding me on this, it's very much appreciated :)
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

No problem, I'm glad I could help.

Yes, the correct way (in TLfres) is to leave all your coordinates at wherever they should be for native res. I tried to make it require as little work as possible, and figured that never having to move stuff would be the least work of all. :) Plus, I intended TLfres to be a "drop-in solution", so adding it to an existing project would require no re-writing stuff.

Sorry I couldn't test that fullscreen, my monitor only goes up to 1024x768. But it seems that the problem is from using stretching in the logic (where the mouse is), but not stretching the graphics. There's... Some kind of math you could do to get the right coordinates in an aspect-ratio-maintaining scaling situation, but I'll be damned if I know what it is (sorry, math isn't my strong suit). If you can't figure it out, then I'd advise either using stretching instead of aspect-ratio-scaling (the last parameter in TLfres.setScreen), or making your menu use keyboard or joystick instead of the mouse.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Sabun
Prole

Post by Sabun »

Alright, thank you very much Taehl :)

At least now I have a leg to stand on, and can try different resolution changes.

Thanks once again for guiding me, and for sharing the TLfres.lua :ultrahappy:
SiENcE
Party member

Re: [Solved] How do you use TLfres?

Post by SiENcE »

I wrote and article in my blog about pixelperfect scaling.

http://crankgaming.blogspot.de/2013/01/ ... aling.html

I also looked into TLfres, but it doesn't fit my needs so i implemented it in a new way.

I can share it, if someone is interested in.