Wonder if this is right for me?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Twiggy
Prole

Wonder if this is right for me?

Post by Twiggy »

Hello, I am Twiggy! I'm a new member of this community and I am wondering if this engine in right for me.

I am looking to create a 2D game I will be calling Evi.

It is going to be a multiplayer 2D RPG game, I want to know if this supports DBing(Saving player information ect: Levels, Stats, Deaths, Kills, image files quantities) as well as FPS that is editable by chance, I don't know much about Lua as I'm familier with C/w Objects (C++) I was hoping to use Torque 2D but when I saw that it doesn't support real time interactions it made me a bit sad, so now I'm here, I searched on google 2D Game Engines and this came up and I looked at some screenshots and they look pretty good from what I see.

I currently have a majority of graphics done as well as a tileset that uses 16x16 squares per tile.
Anybody care to help me out and possibly throw me the right way?

Pretty much in a nutshell: An MORPG Multi online role playing game with saving networking and serverside reactions through things (rather serverside loading than clientside so damage to monsters and such other things actually save and sit)

Is Love2D right for me?
Thank you :)
-Twiggy
Felipe Budinich
Citizen

Re: Wonder if this is right for me?

Post by Felipe Budinich »

Twiggy wrote:Is Love2D right for me?
I think you could create the client with LÖVE and libraries (there's a networking library called LUBE), this would allow the players to do neat things like customizing their client, but the server side will probably need a mix of different technologies, good thing is that Lua can be used to interface with them.
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

It is totally possible to do the entire thing in Love, but you might want to add in a few things to the server to expand the functionality a little bit.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

LÖVE is not good for the server, as you won't need shiny graphics there (unless you want some sort of peer system or player servers), but for the client: go for it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

You can make the server with Lua though.
ZenX2
Citizen

Post by ZenX2 »

I made a console type thing for when I attempted to make an minecraft server with LOVE, but I never figured out text entry...
Mud
Citizen

Post by Mud »

Twiggy wrote:I was hoping to use Torque 2D but when I saw that it doesn't support real time interactions
What does that mean?
Ryne
Party member

Post by Ryne »

Twiggy wrote:Hello, I am Twiggy! I'm a new member of this community and I am wondering if this engine in right for me.

I am looking to create a 2D game I will be calling Evi.

It is going to be a multiplayer 2D RPG game, I want to know if this supports DBing(Saving player information ect: Levels, Stats, Deaths, Kills, image files quantities) as well as FPS that is editable by chance, I don't know much about Lua as I'm familier with C/w Objects (C++) I was hoping to use Torque 2D but when I saw that it doesn't support real time interactions it made me a bit sad, so now I'm here, I searched on google 2D Game Engines and this came up and I looked at some screenshots and they look pretty good from what I see.

I currently have a majority of graphics done as well as a tileset that uses 16x16 squares per tile.
Anybody care to help me out and possibly throw me the right way?

Pretty much in a nutshell: An MORPG Multi online role playing game with saving networking and serverside reactions through things (rather serverside loading than clientside so damage to monsters and such other things actually save and sit)

Is Love2D right for me?
Thank you :)
-Twiggy
I think the more people using LOVE the better. Though if you don't know Lua it might be a lot on your plate.
@rynesaur
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Nothing mentioned sounds impossible. Lua is a very easy to learn, and Love is quite good for rapid prototyping. You may have a fair bit legwork ahead of you, but I expect that would be the case regardless of what you go with.
Kurosuke needs beta testers