LOVE memory using

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
rmn_rmn
Prole

LOVE memory using

Post by rmn_rmn »

Hi everybody!
I face a strange behavior of my game: sometimes it uses 160 mb, sometimes only 5 mb memory. What is the reason of such a difference? How can I force it to use 5 mb always? The game is small and 5 mb is it's reasonable usage.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: LOVE memory using

Post by Robin »

That is a very interesting question and we might have an answer if we could see the source of that game. :)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
rmn_rmn
Prole

Post by rmn_rmn »

Thanks, Robin. I should have uploaded it before. It is 70 percent ready at the moment, but should be enough to determine the source of the problem, I guess.
(In particular, online mode and sometimes artificial int. don't work properly.)
Attachments
game.love
The source file of the game
(2.66 MiB) Downloaded 237 times
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

My best guess (having not looked at the code) would be runaway data. A "sorcerer's apprentice mode" bug. You mentioned AI, which I would consider the prime suspect. For example: Path-finding. You have it grow a table of paths until a suitable path is found. Well, if it can't find a path, the path table could potentially grow and grow and grow until...

Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Zeromuse
Prole

Post by Zeromuse »

Just throwin stuff out there but I read something in the audio snippet (btw I'm new to LOVE)
http://love2d.org/wiki/Tutorial:Audio

If it is that then something having to do with the difference between static and steam use of your audio files. Like I said though, just throwin it out there.
Lap
Party member

Post by Lap »

Didn't we already have the "Wow!" joke last month?
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Two months ago. :P And hush, it was appropriate, and I'll probably never get to use that image again.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
rmn_rmn
Prole

Post by rmn_rmn »

Hmm, I noticed the difference before the game mode, just running it and staying in the main menu. So the slow ai doesn't seem to be the reason.