The Legendary Empires MMORPG project

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
spynaz
Party member

The Legendary Empires MMORPG project

Post by spynaz »

I'm creating a love2d mmorpg called The Legendary Empires. I'm hiring people who are willing to work for free and help with the project. All developers will become admins in the game. If you are willing to sign up, please fill out this form:

Time zone:
Job (see list):
Questions/comments:

This is a list of jobs that you can take (choose something you are good at):

-=Art=-
-Terrain texture designer:
Designs 32x32 tiles of different terrain which will be used to create maps using the program, Tiled.

-Classes and item/weapon designer:
Designs classes, items, and weapons that will be used in game by players.

-Gui designer:
Designs GUIs like menus, inventory, and other.

-=Scripting=-
-UDP Networking:
Create UDP Networking scripts. (ex. Multiplayer chat, login system)

-Data saving scripts
Create scripts that will save the player's data when they leave. (ex. Inventory and stats)
Last edited by spynaz on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: The Legendary Empires MMORPG project (Now hiring)

Post by Taehl »

First off, you posted in the wrong subforum. This should go in General.

Second, how is it "hiring" if you're not paying anyone?

Third, you're making an MMO? How many games have you made already?

Fourth, on a related note, what will you, yourself, be developing in this game?

You see, many people have a problem of saying "I'm going to make an MMO as my first game, but I don't know anything about game development, so I'm just going to be the ideas guy". And they don't get anywhere. Making an MMO is a tremendous undertaking which most people aren't capable of. Also, it'll very hard to lead a team of people to make your game for you when you don't know how to develop the game yourself. Doubly so if you aren't paying them.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Time zone: USA EST. (GMT -5)
Job (see list): Most aspects of game design.
Questions/comments: None whatsoever
Rate: $22.50/hour
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

Taehl wrote:First off, you posted in the wrong subforum. This should go in General.

Second, how is it "hiring" if you're not paying anyone?

Third, you're making an MMO? How many games have you made already?

Fourth, on a related note, what will you, yourself, be developing in this game?

You see, many people have a problem of saying "I'm going to make an MMO as my first game, but I don't know anything about game development, so I'm just going to be the ideas guy". And they don't get anywhere. Making an MMO is a tremendous undertaking which most people aren't capable of. Also, it'll very hard to lead a team of people to make your game for you when you don't know how to develop the game yourself. Doubly so if you aren't paying them.

1. Oh sorry, I thought this subforum was the right one.

2. Your right on that one, but what else should I put?

3. Ok, I might be still kind of new to love2d but I'm not new to lua. Also I know to create an mmo. The only thing I kind of have a problem with right now is making it multiplayer because I'm still trying to figure out how it works.

4. I will be developing most of the scripts.

5. I do know about game development, just because I joined love2d not a long ago doesn't mean I don't know anything.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

josefnpat wrote:Time zone: USA EST. (GMT -5)
Job (see list): Most aspects of game design.
Questions/comments: None whatsoever
Rate: $22.50/hour
Not accepted. (Remove the rate) :P
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I don't think I've ever seen a request that came with less incentive to fulfil it. Not only is the deceiving title off putting, but you provided no information whatsoever on the proposed project. You may have well put:

Code: Select all

WANTED

Slaves to work on [GAME], MMORPG. Roles required: ALL.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

Lafolie wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a request that came with less incentive to fulfil it. Not only is the deceiving title off putting, but you provided no information whatsoever on the proposed project. You may have well put:

WANTED

I was planning on providing info to people who would take a job. I want people who want to actually work on a game, not just do it for money. I don't get why are you all wanting money just to help create a game. Isn't it supposed to be fun? And if it isn't then you need to go find a profession that's fun for you and you could even do it without money. Anyway, I'd rather go hire people I know in real and I can talk to them in person. Eventually developers will get money if the game becomes successful.
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

spynaz wrote:
Lafolie wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a request that came with less incentive to fulfil it. Not only is the deceiving title off putting, but you provided no information whatsoever on the proposed project. You may have well put:

WANTED

I was planning on providing info to people who would take a job. I want people who want to actually work on a game, not just do it for money. I don't get why are you all wanting money just to help create a game. Isn't it supposed to be fun? And if it isn't then you need to go find a profession that's fun for you and you could even do it without money. Anyway, I'd rather go hire people I know in real and I can talk to them in person. Eventually developers will get money if the game becomes successful.
People aren't nitpicking your request because of any monetary issue. We all love making games here, and so do the people who made Love2D, as you can see, they made it for free.

It's just hard to be excited about a project that you know little about, and aren't sure whether the lead developer will be able to pull it off.

You're trying to do something overly ambitious with little to no budget. Something that requires ridiculous amounts of work. You say you're experienced with game development. Do you have a portfolio or any previous work people can see?
Pash
Prole

Re: The Legendary Empires MMORPG project

Post by Pash »

Hi,

I think getting a project page on indiedb.com would be advantageous to start showcasing what you already have. Ignore those jumping on your back for now. I guess these are just the guys who see every other post "Im making an MMO, watch out" and maybe thought the same here as well. Kind of understandable.

WoW! an MMO in Love. Im curious, do any exist right at all? Id be interested in the client - server stuff. I havent really looked at it yet, ive seen some people lubing up and getting stuck in.....and ive also seen some devs using the lube library as well (bad dam tissshhh).

Anyway, good luck and please post back a link to any devlog you might maintain. I like the title, has a steampunk title feel to it...which is never a bad thing in my eyes.
Sagan Interactive - Looking forward to a creative 2013.
Automatik
Citizen

Re: The Legendary Empires MMORPG project

Post by Automatik »

Also I know to create an mmo. The only thing I kind of have a problem with right now is making it multiplayer because I'm still trying to figure out how it works.
What? You say you know how to make a Massively Multiplayer Online Game, but you don't know how to make multiplayer?
-Data saving scripts
Create scripts that will save the player's data when they leave. (ex. Inventory and stats)
Really, this is trivial and don't need a separate "job" for this.
-=Art=-
[...]
Before thinking about art, you should make a terrible-looking(because full of placeholder programmer art) prototype.
Isn't it supposed to be fun?
Only when we are interested in the project. And we can't be interested in a project that... blurry.

Also: You can't make a MMO with five guys doing this on their free time. At least, not in less than 20 years.
I know a (dead) blog who explain very well this, but it's in french. :|