[Mac os X] Can't LÖVE without SDL

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
YuShin
Prole

[Mac os X] Can't LÖVE without SDL

Post by YuShin »

Hi everyone!

I'd like to try Löve on my mac, but i have a few probs :

-I can't launch the Löve app or any of the demos. The app launch (it bounces on the dock) then quit after a few seconds.
I suppose that it is because the app is build for Intel based macs, and I have a ppc one.

-So I tried to build Löve. I dled the source, "./configure", but it says "Can't LÖVE without SDL".
The thing is, SDL should be installed, as I installed it with macports ("sudo port install libsdl").
Do I need to put the SDL sources in the Löve build folder?

My knowledge on compiling is quite small, so i'm a bit lost here...

I use Mac os X Tiger (10.4.11), on a PowerBookG4, if that can help.

Thanks!
bmelts
Party member

Re: [Mac os X] Can't LÖVE without SDL

Post by bmelts »

The Mac version of LÖVE doesn't use the autotools setup - that was designed for Linux systems, and does not take any of the Mac's quirks into account. There's an Xcode project included in the repository which is used to build LÖVE instead.

There is a greater problem, however - Mac OS X Tiger isn't supported - only Leopard and higher. It is possible you could build LÖVE yourself to work on Tiger, but you'd need to rebuild many of the frameworks LÖVE uses as well, which is a major pain.
YuShin
Prole

Re: [Mac os X] Can't LÖVE without SDL

Post by YuShin »

Ok :(

I guess i'll just wait until i have access to my main computer again, this old one gives me far too much compatibility probs.

Thanks for the answer!