Image skewing?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Image skewing?

Post by Taehl »

So, I'd like to make some grass in my game that gets blown around by the wind. Can Love draw skewed graphics?
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
thelinx
The Strongest

Re: Image skewing?

Post by thelinx »

You could probably do some interesting stuff using love.graphics.translate, love.graphics.scale and love.graphics.rotate.

I fear that's all you can do in the way of skewing, though.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

The old issue tracker had an issue with image skewing in it. I recommend somebody add it to the tracker again because this is a feature most everybody wants to use at some point.
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

I didn't keep a copy of my shear patch, because I thought it'd be safe in the issue tracker. I was proved wrong on that point though.

However, you don't need to patch Löve to make use of general 2D affine transformation. This function, taken from the 3D dice roller app by way, implements such transformation.

Code: Select all

--applies a transformation that maps 
--  0,0 => ox, oy
--  1,0 => xx, xy
--  0,1 => yx, yy
-- via love.graphics.translate, .rotate and .scale

function love.graphics.transform(ox, oy, xx, xy, yx, yy)

local ex, ey, fx,fy = xx-ox, xy-oy, yx-ox, yy-oy
  if ex*fy<ey*fx then ex,ey,fx,fy=fx,fy,ex,ey end
  local e,f = math.sqrt(ex*ex+ey*ey), math.sqrt(fx*fx+fy*fy)

ex,ey = ex/e, ey/e
  fx,fy = fx/f, fy/f

local desiredOrientation=math.atan2(ey+fy,ex+fx)
  local desiredAngle=math.acos(ex*fx+ey*fy)/2
  local z=math.tan(desiredAngle)
  local distortion=math.sqrt((1+z*z)/2)

love.graphics.translate(ox, oy)
  love.graphics.rotate(desiredOrientation)
  love.graphics.scale(1, z)
  love.graphics.rotate(-math.pi/4)
  love.graphics.scale(e/distortion,f/distortion)

end
To use this for a shear transformation you call it with parameters transform(0, 0, 1, a, b, 1), where a and b are the x and y shear parameters. You probably want to write a program that allows you to change these values interactively and see what happens. Or you can learn the math:

http://www.coranac.com/tonc/text/affine.htm

Hope this helps.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

So, since that uses love.graphics.transform, I take it that would be kind of a skew-the-whole-screen-thing, instead of a skew-one-image deal?...
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Taehl wrote:So, since that uses love.graphics.transform, I take it that would be kind of a skew-the-whole-screen-thing, instead of a skew-one-image deal?...
You mean love.graphics.translate/scale/rotate?
Not necessarily, see love.graphics.push/pop.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
pekka
Party member

Post by pekka »

When you call draw with an image parameter, Löve will eventually use the function Image::drawv internally to complete the drawing operation. It is viewable in the Bitbucket repository at the address below. Line 317 or so.

https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/src/163 ... /Image.cpp

The long and short of it is that it uses the same push and pop functionality (as recommended by Robin) to temporarily set up a coordinate system that will end up placing the image in accordance with the parameters you used in the draw function call. So, it is quite legitimate to push and pop the coordinate system as many times as you need. Löve already does it.

Of course, that transform function can be a bit slower than doing it in C++ specifically for this purpose would be, as there is a fair bit of transcendental math in it, and it calls the math functions from Lua. But I think it should work fine for a lot of uses. That dice app used it a fair bit and still ran at a comfortable number of FPS.
Taehl

Post by Taehl »

Okay, so, I would do my existing transforming and scaling, "push" it, skew it with a transform, draw the grass, then "pop" back to before the skew and keep going?

Is this fast enough that I could individually skew a few dozen clumps of grass? Or will I have to make big strips of grass that sway in unison?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I guess if you are using the built-in features of love.graphics.draw(), C++ is fast enough.
But if you want to do it manually, doing it all once is definitely better.
Help us help you: attach a .love.