love.platform

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

love.platform

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Just a suggestion, it might be nice to make a love.platform variable inside of the love module. This could be set based in the headers set in the config header file.

It might be set to the string "Windows", "Mac" (OS9 and under), "OSX", or "Linux", appended with "32" or "64" based on whether it's 32 or 64 bit.

Example:

Code: Select all

if love.platform == "OSX32" or love.platform == "OSX64" then
    print("Sweet computer.")
end
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: love.platform

Post by Taehl »

What do we need it for? Personally, I would be happy if Love games remained blind to the OS they're on. Most importantly, that would encourage Lovers to use different code depending on the platform the game is on, which can only culminate in bad, bad programming practices. But secondly, I see this happening:

Code: Select all

if string.sub(love.platform, 0,3) == "OSX" then score = score*2 end 
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

The only exception I could see is allowing the game to check if it's on a device that can do less (or more) than vanilla LÖVE.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartoleo
Party member

Post by bartoleo »

I think it's not Essential, but It could be useful in the future (handeld... mobile...)
Bartoleo
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Robin wrote:The only exception I could see is allowing the game to check if it's on a device that can do less (or more) than vanilla LÖVE.
In that case, I'd suggest adding capability detection instead of computer id detection; for example, love.can.saveFiles instead of love.os.name.
When I write def I mean function.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I find kikito's proposal MUCH better. Harder to abuse the feature, and easier to be put to its intended purpose.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Hmmmm, I never thought of people abusing the feature. Yeah, it's probably not a good idea.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

kikito wrote: In that case, I'd suggest adding capability detection instead of computer id detection; for example, love.can.saveFiles instead of love.os.name.
love.can.hasCheeseBurger?

But seriously, it would be nice to know if someone is using, say, a touchscreen or something. I've been tripped up by Wacom users before.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

The one thing I can think of off the top of my head that platform detection would be useful for (beyond what's been mentioned in this thread already) is key modifiers, e.g. binding quit to Control-Q on Windows and Command-Q on Macs. On the other hand, that sort of thing might be more easily fixed with a special "modifier" key constant that's bound to the appropriate key on each OS.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

But Alt+F4 is a more standard close/quit key for Windows and Linux and already enabled by default. Dunno about OSX.
Help us help you: attach a .love.