MySQL?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Freze
Prole

MySQL?

Post by Freze »

Any way to connect a MySQL Server to the program?
A module or something?

mysql.connect(host, user, pass, database, port) and
mysql.query(query)

Anything like that?
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: MySQL?

Post by nevon »

You could use luaSQL.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

nevon wrote:You could use luaSQL.
Though you would have to add it in to your own copy of the LOVE source files, and then compile your own version. That is, if you wanted to use it with LOVE.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

BlackBulletIV wrote:
Though you would have to add it in to your own copy of the LOVE source files, and then compile your own version. That is, if you wanted to use it with LOVE.
Lua can load modules dynamically. So if lua can load a module, then love could do it also. You just need to put your (binary or lua) module within package.cpath/package.path respectively. If you want to distribute your game, then you would need to distribute those libraries as well (and for every platform you intend to support).
But then it would be better to statically compile your own love2d indeed.

BTW, I wish love2d had sqlite compiled in...
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

yep, it works quite well in fact. i used a profiler library with it too.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

miko wrote:
BlackBulletIV wrote:
Lua can load modules dynamically. So if lua can load a module, then love could do it also. You just need to put your (binary or lua) module within package.cpath/package.path respectively. If you want to distribute your game, then you would need to distribute those libraries as well (and for every platform you intend to support).
Oh, well that's cool then.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I'd try using simple Lua files before attempting to use databases. Lua is flexible enough to express both game logic and game data cleanly.
When I write def I mean function.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I agree with kikito. Why do you need to use SQL databases? Unless it's something REALLY advanced, you should have no problem expressing your data with Lua tables (they really are amazing, I assure you).
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Taehl wrote:I agree with kikito. Why do you need to use SQL databases? Unless it's something REALLY advanced, you should have no problem expressing your data with Lua tables (they really are amazing, I assure you).
I agree. You can store data using Lua table syntax in text files, and bring them back into data by using love.filesystem.read and then loadstring. You could also use loadfile or dofile, but this doesn't work in SELOVE.
schme16
Party member

Post by schme16 »

despite the 'keep it simple' attitude thats forming in the comments here, I still think its a great idea to have SQL available to use; Mind you, I use JSON to save my tables and such
My Development Diary - http://shanegadsby.info