LineWidth(1) invisible?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
miko
Party member

LineWidth(1) invisible?

Post by miko »

Hello,
I can not see lines of width 1. Is it only me? Attached is a sample program and the screenshot of what I get.
I am on linux, using love 0.7.1 compiled with luajit2. Can anyone confirm/deny this error?
Screenshot of what I get
Screenshot of what I get
linewidth.png (7.54 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
Attachments
LineWidthError.love
Shows problem with lines of width 1
(7.25 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
Boolsheet
Inner party member

Re: LineWidth(1) invisible?

Post by Boolsheet »

Do you have a intel graphics card? It's possible that the intel linux driver does something fishy.
The code that draws the line will change in LÖVE 0.8.0 and fix this problem.
Shallow indentations.
Ghuntar
Prole

Post by Ghuntar »

And You can test by drawing the same "1 width line" but not exactly horizontal or vertical ==> They will appear.
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Boolsheet wrote:Do you have a intel graphics card? It's possible that the intel linux driver does something fishy.
Yes, that would be the case, its i950 driver, Intel GM45 Chipset. Thanks for the info.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Ghuntar wrote:And You can test by drawing the same "1 width line" but not exactly horizontal or vertical ==> They will appear.
That's what I have shown in the original screenshot: the circle was drawn, but the rectangle was not (for the LineWidth of 1). But I guess you have not looked at the code, so there should be 2 rectangles and 2 circles, each of linewidth 1 (red) or 2 (green).
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

This is because the line is drawn between pixels, if you use an axis-aligned line with width 1, but at coordinates offset by 0.5, you'll probably see them pop up. (So love.graphics.line(0, 50.5, 800, 50.5) for example.)

EDIT: Note that this is a workaround for the bug, it's no solution.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I'm not showing off in any way whatsoever here, but I'd like to demonstrate what is going on here with a screenshot. Take a look at the difference between these two windows, both using the exact same code provided here:

There's quite a stark difference here. I feel that this serves as a good reminder that what you see one your screen is not always what other people see on theirs, regardless of the cross-platform nature of the framework. There is always going to be some differences created through external factors. Although, in this case, I was quite surprised at the level of difference. It's all so very interesting.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Ghuntar
Prole

Post by Ghuntar »

miko wrote:
Ghuntar wrote:And You can test by drawing the same "1 width line" but not exactly horizontal or vertical ==> They will appear.
That's what I have shown in the original screenshot: the circle was drawn, but the rectangle was not (for the LineWidth of 1). But I guess you have not looked at the code, so there should be 2 rectangles and 2 circles, each of linewidth 1 (red) or 2 (green).
No need to read your code, I have the same driver problem : Intel GMA900 under linux.
Crazy Little Thing Called LÖVE.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Boolsheet wrote:Do you have a intel graphics card? It's possible that the intel linux driver does something fishy.
Is it going to force points to be at 0.5 offsets?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

No, it changes the way lines are drawn (fixing another issue with scaling).