Newbie here gonna start out small

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Newbie here gonna start out small

Post by nevon »

mrpoptart wrote:Thank you nevon. It worked like a charm. But now my tank will now move in the image at all. here is my code, can you help me see what is wrong?
You're overwriting your variables. You should probably read through the PiL.
mrpoptart
Prole

Post by mrpoptart »

Thank you for your help. I will read through this and see if i can find my error.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

nevon wrote:
BlackBulletIV wrote:Nah I was meaning the real "use", as in put in your game. One thing I did forget though, is conflicting licenses, not just licenses saying "look, but don't touch."
Robin wrote:Also remember: games without a license are subject to full copyright. Luckily, most of the useful code around here is open source.
Oh really? Didn't know that. What about the code snippets we post? It'd be public domain unless otherwise stated I'm guessing?
Depends. See Threshold of Originality. In general though, no, just because you post something on the interwebs, that doesn't mean it automagically becomes public domain.
Argh, this legal world of ours is more wacky than I thought.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Let's see your love.load function:

Code: Select all

function love.load()
   tank = love.graphics.newImage("tank.png")
   x = 500
   y = 500
   speed = 100 ;
   background = love.graphics.newImage("background.png")
   x = 0
   y = 0
   speed = 0
end
You start by creating a variable called "tank" and assign an image to it. Then you create x,y and speed, with values 500,500 and 100.
Then you create background, with another image.

And then you reset x,y and speed to 0,0,0

You are re-using x,y and speed for both the tank and the background. If you want the tank to move differently from the background, you need to use different variables for it. Try calling the tank variables tank_x, tank_y and tank_speed - in all your functions, not only love.load. This should give you a nice moving tank.
When I write def I mean function.
mrpoptart
Prole

Post by mrpoptart »

Well thank you a bunch kikito. I redid my code, and it works like a charm. Now im on my way to some collision detection, and shooting some missiles.

here is the code that i redid and it worked, with your help.

Code: Select all

function love.load()
   tank = love.graphics.newImage("tank.png")
   x = 500
   y = 500
   speed = 100 ;
   background = love.graphics.newImage("background.png")
   bg_x = 0
   bg_y = 0
   bg_speed = 0
end

function love.update(dt)
   if love.keyboard.isDown("right") then
      x = x + (speed * dt)
   elseif love.keyboard.isDown("left") then
      x = x - (speed * dt)
   end
   if love.keyboard.isDown( "escape" ) then
        love.event.push( "q" )
    end
end

function love.draw()
   love.graphics.draw(background, bg_x, bg_y)
   love.graphics.draw(tank, x, y)
end
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

When your game starts getting more complex, you'll want to look into tables. That will allow you to have objects, in a sense, which contain their own data. So instead of needing new global variables for everything, you can call, for instance, tank.x = tank.speed*100*dt. It would also allow you to have arbitrary numbers of enemies. In general, tables are the best part of Lua, in my humble opinion.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Wulfie
Prole

Post by Wulfie »

Taehl wrote:When your game starts getting more complex, you'll want to look into tables. That will allow you to have objects, in a sense, which contain their own data. So instead of needing new global variables for everything, you can call, for instance, tank.x = tank.speed*100*dt. It would also allow you to have arbitrary numbers of enemies. In general, tables are the best part of Lua, in my humble opinion.

..... metatables???
"We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." -- Unknown