Building for mac app store?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Zack
Prole

Building for mac app store?

Post by Zack »

Hey guys. I am just wondering if it is possible to build love apps/games for distribution to the mac app store ?

Many thanks in advance
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Building for mac app store?

Post by nevon »

Yes it is.
Zack
Prole

Post by Zack »

nevon wrote:Yes it is.
Awesome :) I presume apps can also be built for Windows.

Any guides on the building process for the app store ? Thanks again
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

It's not quite as easy as just making a .app, unfortunately. Thanks to the way the Mac App Store works, there's various certificates and flags and stuff that can only be worked with inside Xcode.

I don't have a Mac Developer Account (yet?), so I couldn't tell you how to actually go about doing it, but it'll - at a minimum - require downloading the LÖVE repo (probably from a tagged version to avoid prerelease bugs) and using the included Xcode project as a starting point. From there, I'm afraid you're basically on your own for now. Unless someone wants to donate $99 to me so I can get an account and work it out :P
Zack
Prole

Post by Zack »

I know about the actual building for mac app store process, I just worded my question wrong.

All i wanted to know really was if you can build a love project using xcode, the rest takes care of itself when you know what your doing :p
From your original answer that is a resounding yes so thats great.

Thanks
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

It may help those of us looking to eventually put games on the Mac App Store if you were to outline the steps necessary to convert a LÖVE project to an app that meets their guidelines (or a link to get people started). :)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Yeah, this is a very interesting idea. Guidelines would be great. If I had the $99 I'd donate to anjo right away, it would be beneficial for the whole community. Not only that, but it's motivational knowing that Löve games can indeed make it to the App Store. Nevon and bartbes have already proved that games can make it to the Ubuntu Software Centre as a commercial app. It would be fantastic to see something on the App Store too.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

You know, if every Mac lover willing and able to donate a small amount of money to anjo, you might get to $99 rather quickly. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Robin wrote:You know, if every Mac lover willing and able to donate a small amount of money to anjo, you might get to $99 rather quickly. ;)
I would donate as much as I can, but bank statement currently reads £0.59 so... yeah :P In fact I was going to propose a donation box or something, but decided against instigating this myself since I wouldn't be able to donate :( That wold be like setting up the League of Nations and then not joining it, heh. When I have the monies I'll gladly donate. And eh, this isn't just for "Mac lover"s either, remember :nyu:
Last edited by Lafolie on Mon May 16, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Lafolie wrote:And eh, this isn't just for "Mac lover"s either, remeber :nyu:
I think he meant "Mac lover" as in developer using LÖVE on the Mac platform.