Enemies for a platforming-combat game?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
GungnirDev
Party member

Enemies for a platforming-combat game?

Post by GungnirDev »

My next project is an evil, closed-source commercial platform combat game which will involve lots of platform and lots of combat (as you might have deduced). So far I have been using Fizz which works very well for platforms and player character, however I have not figured out how to create enemies that will collide with both my platforms and the main character. (I can do one or the other just not both.) I've not seen any examples of this done in fizz so, before I go any further with fizz I was wondering if this is doable with just Fizz, AnAl and cron or if I need something else to achieve these results.
Bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky
Bullets are the beauty and I don't know why
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: Enemies for a platforming-combat game?

Post by Taehl »

The Fizz demo provides an example of platforms, a player-controlled physics object, and other physics objects, all of which collide. Be aware that it's not good at stacking higher than two boxes (I could never figure out the math for it). It also doesn't have fancy optimizations like AABB, so it won't scale well to thousands of objects.

For the record, all of my Love2D stuff so far is under the Zlib license. That means it's okay to close the source, but you need to give me credit.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Santos
Party member

Post by Santos »

Sorry this is off topic, but I just wanted to point out that I don't think closed source software which uses zlib-licensed source code is legally required to attribute the copyright holders of the zlib-licensed source code: http://opensource.org/licenses/zlib-license.php
Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.
But of course, it can be requested!
GungnirDev
Party member

Post by GungnirDev »

I will definitely credit you, it was more of a joke about how it's evil and closed-source so I can't post the code for everyone here to dissect-and-correct as that would not only be you all doing my work for me, but also rather defeat the purpose of me selling it.

But, on the original point, you're saying that it would be possible to program multiple (if not hundreds of) enemies on screen at once using Fizz, that collide with the ground and with the player?
Bullets are the beauty of the blistering sky
Bullets are the beauty and I don't know why