Resolution Issues In My Old Monitor

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
cyberone
Prole

Resolution Issues In My Old Monitor

Post by cyberone »

Hi! I stumbled in two strange issues with the way deal with resolution, and I would be grateful if someone could help me.

First, I use an old monitor samsung SyncMaster 550v. My default resolution is 800x600. I could use 1024x768, but the graphics became really small, so I prefer 800x600.

My first problem is: when I set up resolution to 800x600 in the game.conf, the sprites simply aren't drawed :? the problem vanishes when i don't set up resolution in game.conf. Well, it's not really a problem because 800x600 is the default resolution of Löve, but I think this behaviour is weird...

Now, the second problem is really worse: the mouse coordinates and the sprites coordinates are different! When I am obviously clicking in something on the screen, Löve will say that I ain't. It' ll act as if the sprite were translated a little down and left. I thought this was my mistake, so I downloaded a example writed by one of the administrators (I don't remember who wrote or where it is.. sorry :oops: ), and there it are, the same strange behaviour! If i click near the bottom left corner of the sprite, but not directly on it, I can drag it!!

Finally, I tried an example where a text where rendered at position 50,50, and it displayed the position of the mouse, and I moved the cursor to the position 50,50, which was a bit away of the rendered text :?

Can someone help me?

ps: I am brazilian, so please forgive my poor English

EDIT:
My system:
------------------------------------------------------
  • Windows XP SP2
  • GeForce FX 5500
  • Intel Celeron 2.26GHz
  • 2 GB RAM
  • monitor samsung SyncMaster 550v
Last edited by cyberone on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikembley
Citizen

Re: Resolution Issues In My Old Monitor

Post by mikembley »

Could you describe your hardware setup ( graphics card, etc ) and what operating system you are using, It would make it easier for us to narrow ideas down then.
mikembley
Citizen

Post by mikembley »

Have you checked if your drivers are up to date?

Also, Could you provide screenshots of your problem too please?
cyberone
Prole

Post by cyberone »

Yes, my drivers are up to date.

Hey something strange happened.. this time, all worked fine! :?
Man, I'm feeling like a noob... The problems that I described really happened, I stayed a bunch of hours dealing with them, I remember that I have tested all of them a lot of times... and now it just worked...

Oh, man, sorry, my mistake :oops:

EDIT
------------------------------------------------------
I've got it! I've got it! But I don't have any screenshots... I pressed printscreen, but it don't showed the cursor. So I used the function love.graphics.screenshot, but the filetype was unknown to my system...

Anyway, the problem with the cursor happened again, but Löve behaved as espected after I moved the window!

Here is the code i used to the test:

Code: Select all

function load() 
	local f = love.graphics.newFont(love.default_font, 14) 
    love.graphics.setFont(f) 
end

function update (dt)
	if love.keyboard.isDown(love.key_f12) then
		love.graphics.screenshot("screenshot.bmp")
	end
end

function draw() 
	local x, y = love.mouse.getPosition() 
	love.graphics.draw("The mouse is at (" .. x .. "," .. y .. ")", 50, 50) 
end
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

I assume you're using fullscreen mode right? I mean, if your desktop resolution is 800x600 and you create a non-fullscreen window of the same size if wouldn't even fit on screen (LÖVE will give you an 800x600 screen, true, but you have to add the size of the window border and decoration).

Wait, you say you moved the window. I'm confused. I shouldn't be replying at 2:20 AM anyway.

If you're running fullscreen, SDL fullscren mode has always been kinda flaky on Windows in my experience. Maybe your issues have something to do with that.
cyberone
Prole

Post by cyberone »

No, I was not using fullscreen, and yes, the window was larger than the screen. At fullscreen it just worked fine.