LOVE2D Capabilities

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Miste
Prole

LOVE2D Capabilities

Post by Miste »

Hello my friends !
Recently , I played a lot of really good 2D games and I started wondering if it is possible to make such games in LOVE2D.
Some of these games are:
-Sonic 2
-Dust : An Elysian Tail
-Super Meat Boy

I know games as Mario have already been made , but i really haven't seen more complex games.
I don't plan on making these games right now , as i just started usin LOVE2D , but i do plan on making games of the same quality as the ones i mentioned.
Thanks!
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: LOVE2D Capabilities

Post by slime »

As long as a game isn't 3D, it can probably be made with LÖVE.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

slime wrote:As long as a game isn't 3D, it can probably be made with LÖVE.
Well... I woudn't say that exactly... Plenty of us have been toying with 3D-like features for years now. There's no real 3D API or anything but 3D-like is totally possible when done right. But don't expect to do anything really 3D.

Also, that Mari0 game you say is pretty damn complex when you break it down. Like extremely complex.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Jasoco wrote:
slime wrote:As long as a game isn't 3D, it can probably be made with LÖVE.
Well... I woudn't say that exactly... Plenty of us have been toying with 3D-like features for years now. There's no real 3D API or anything but 3D-like is totally possible when done right. But don't expect to do anything really 3D.

Also, that Mari0 game you say is pretty damn complex when you break it down. Like extremely complex.
I think he means complex gameplay and not complex code. A lot of games I'm sure are complex you break them down. I wouldn't doubt that Mari0 would be complex. I had a look in the code and didn't understand a lot of it(granted I didn't really understand LÖVE back then(by back then I mean like a month ago)).

3D is possible, if you look at some things people have made. I believe Jasoco has a did some 3D stuff. I've been trying to master 2D before 3D. Don't run before you can walk! ;)
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

It's possible, but that doesn't make it a good idea. You can insert nails with a screwdriver, it's just not very efficient. If you're going 3d, pick up something like Unity.

But more complex 2d games should be possible; just make sure that these games are actually 2d and not the more modern 2d-game built in a 3d-engine. That would be quite challenging (and probably better done in Unity, again)

LÖVE appears to be quite efficient and powerful as a framework, so you should be able to get quite some serious complexity/performance out of it.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'm only doing 3D in Löve for the following reasons:

A) To prove to myself that I can.
B) Because I've already done 2D out the wazoo.
C) To prove to myself that I can.

But Löve is not really a 3D engine. There's no access to OpenGL's 3D API's. And no 3D optimization. So you have to do all the calculations yourself and those calculations take CPU time. So it's relatively slow. I'm doing 3D the way our forefathers at Nintendo and Sega did in the early '90s. Before we had advanced graphics cards to take care of the grunt work.

3D in Löve is basically just a project. Löve is much more suited to 2D. And is very good at 2D.
bizziboi
Citizen

Post by bizziboi »

Bottom line, yes, you can make all of these (especially if you use luajit). Sonic is really not more compilcated than Mario. SMB will ask more of you on the implementation side as it's not tile based, and the gfx require more gfx programming.
Dust....well, you gotta be good at art, but technically it's not demanding.

Having said that, platformers aren't easy, good ones that is. Love does give you a very quick iteration cycle tho.
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

I've never played Dust, so I can't say anything about that.
This might be somewhat useful if you're trying to do something sonic related: this
Super Meat Boy in its core isn't that demanding, as well. Once you figure out the basis of creating a platformer, then you're pretty much set there.
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

One side note: I'm pretty sure that Super Meat Boy's graphics are vector images, which LOVE doesn't support. You could render vector images as raster images and then use those, of course, but you wouldn't have the super-smooth and crisp scaling that vector naturally provides (and that is seen in Super Meat Boy). Outside of that, yes you could make a game like that with LOVE.
buhb11
Citizen

Post by buhb11 »

To be honest Super Meat boy is not that fancy.I mean it dosent have awesome physics or it dosent have 1 million sprites rendered at once or super effects.If you learn all the modules and syntacks and you are an awesome designer then you have Super Meat boy! Dont forget to ask the comunity if you have any problems or question.I think this is one of the strongest power that Love2d, supports.Have a nice day!

Edit: I don't know what vector graphics means at all , but i think you could make awesome games without that feature.
I found Love very enjoyable and nice!