Transparent Background?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Kingdaro
Party member

Transparent Background?

Post by Kingdaro »

And I mean like showing the desktop transparency. I recently made http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8005323/sparkle%20rain.zip and shared it on another forum, people had the idea that it would be cool to have the window's background in transparency and in fullscreen so you could basically make sparkles all over your screen.

Is this possible in any way?
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Transparent Background?

Post by kikito »

I think it is not.
When I write def I mean function.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

What does the alpha component of love.graphics.setBackgroundColor in 0.8.0 do then?
Kurosuke needs beta testers
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

tentus wrote:What does the alpha component of love.graphics.setBackgroundColor in 0.8.0 do then?
According to my test on Arch Linux, it does fucking nothing.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

thelinx wrote: According to my test on Arch Linux, it does fucking nothing.
I suppose that in a way then that the command layers a color over the background and the alpha makes that layer translucent?

I don't see the point when you could just use lower color values to get a darker color since that's what it would appear as.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

thelinx wrote:
tentus wrote:What does the alpha component of love.graphics.setBackgroundColor in 0.8.0 do then?
Isn't it related to framebuffer backgrounds?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

TechnoCat wrote:
thelinx wrote:
Framebuffers (canvases in 0.8.0) have their own clear method for setting their background color in 0.8.0.
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

"
TechnoCat wrote:
thelinx wrote:
Framebuffers (canvases in 0.8.0) have their own clear method for setting their background color in 0.8.0."

ALPHACEPTION
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Is there any chance of this happening in the foreseeable future? It would be pretty awesome.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I dunno. If you want to do that stuff you should consider switching to writing Widgets and Gadgets for OS X and Windows or using one of the many other frameworks like the never heard of anymore Yahoo! Widget Engine (Formerly the superior Konfabulator before they sold out). They use combinations of HTML5, JavaScript and CSS with WebKit (Or Trident in Windows case) to do their thing. JavaScript on pretty much ay modern browser is super fast these days. And all let you not draw a background so the game would appear on the desktop over the screen.

A alternative would be if there were any way whatsoever for Löve to take a screenshot of the desktop BEFORE the window appears, then load it as an image and draw it over a screen resolution fullscreen game. It wouldn't live-update, but it would work. But I don't think Löve can do that. When I used Visual Basic I wrote a program that took a screenshot, drew it to a screen sized canvas and let me draw on it with colored pens like they do on football games to describe the plays. It was awesome. My sister would play with it all day while I was at school.