LOVE 0.5 Mac with working .love access

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
joellevin
Prole

LOVE 0.5 Mac with working .love access

Post by joellevin »

This is a universal binary of LOVE 0.5.0 for Mac. It is based off of the fantastic work of appleide (for the universal love.app), alenofx (for work on getting physfs working and the idea of using install_name_tool with a custom dylib), and zeroz for the app and document icons. Great work guys! :D

This build has totally working .love access through drag and drop, in addition to double clicking .love documents. My basic testing shows everything works great on PPC leopard (tiger... not so much. physfs uses some leopard-only libSystem calls).

For the fun of it, I also designed a dmg background and packaged it up all nice. :)

Download LOVE 0.5.0 [UB] (7.2 MB)

Enjoy! Looking forward to future love releases!
EDIT: Also, happy new year!
Last edited by joellevin on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaze
Party member

Re: LOVE 0.5 Mac with working .love access

Post by Kaze »

Good job, looks great.
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

i love you. :)

EDIT: This is the loveliest love binary ever!
No, I didnt write "mac binary"
Last edited by appleide on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

appleide wrote:i love you. :)
+50 points
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
joellevin
Prole

Post by joellevin »

So what does the administration think - is this suitable to become the official Mac binary download? I was hoping to get it posted on http://love2d.org/index.php?page=download (hmm... look into mod_rewrite and htaccess, you could easily make this url love2d.org/download - much cleaner).
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

It looks awesome. Sure, it can become the official release. Should we add changes to the repository?

EDIT: Done. Thank-you's in alphabetical order. ;)
alenofx
Prole

Post by alenofx »

Coool, thanks to you too, guys! :ultrahappy:
PS: one day we'll have a slim-statically-linked-love-binary... 8-)
joellevin
Prole

Post by joellevin »

I agree... perhaps I'll work on that. However, I have read that some libraries have weird licensing things when it comes to the static version (SDL, for example, forces the LGPL in static library form, but doesn't when it's a Mac framework). Also, how does resource access work with static libraries? Will it be smart enough to just use the current bundle's resources path (which isn't the same as a frameworks path, due to the MacOS folder)?
smrx
Prole

Post by smrx »

Nice Work!

I use it on my MacBook (4.1) with Leopard.

Just a few ideas:

Would be nice if you could also recommend a LUA-IDE at the download-page, for example Smultron (which works fine for me). (This is no advertising, it was just the first LUA-IDE i found for Mac OS X...and it's small an fast)

I had the Problem, that i couldn't create clean Lua-files with Text Edit, so i think you should need a IDE or at least a Editor which creates clean code.

When i used Text Edit, and renamend my file from foo.rtf to foo.lua, compressed it and renamend to .love, i always got an error (something with unexpected error...bla bla end of "{" missing or sth. like that).

So here's my way to code:

Code the stuff in Smultron -> Mark all needed files in Finder -> Compress them with the build-in Finder compress-function -> rename .zip-file to .love -> Run it with a doubleclick.

Just one last thing:
I don't know if it's a error of the Mac-Version, but i can't run many of the Projects posted here on the board (for example the Game of Life e.g.).
Whe i double-click them in Finder, Löve starts and then nothing happens.
But the Icon in the Dock an the small Menu in the Menubar still is there, but i can just close it by shut down the Löve-Process with the ActivityMonitor.

Gr33ts
Yannik

PS: Sorry for my bad english ;)
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

smrx wrote:When i used Text Edit, and renamend my file from foo.rtf to foo.lua, compressed it and renamend to .love, i always got an error (something with unexpected error...bla bla end of "{" missing or sth. like that).
rtf? Like in Rich Text File? I think that if you start by making a standard text file instead of a rich text file and code in that you shouldn't have a problem, even on a Mac.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)