Using dofile() ?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Ensayia
Party member

Re: Using dofile() ?

Post by Ensayia »

is there some specific reason you need to use dofile()? Otherwise, what's wrong with simply requiring a file? Perhaps you can explain a bit better why you require the function and include a .love? (Really though, read the forum rules)

Also I know I'm a nitpicking asshole but the word is spelled Lua and not LUA. It is its own word and not an acronym. For some reason it really grinds my gears when people do that...
Wombat
Prole

Post by Wombat »

is there some specific reason you need to use dofile()?
I want to close the script, i am currently in and want to open a new script. This is simply what i want to do.^^
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

Wombat wrote:
is there some specific reason you need to use dofile()?
I want to close the script, i am currently in and want to open a new script. This is simply what i want to do.^^
But why? Or, what you really want to do? Please follow the 5 Whys path: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Whys
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

Yeh please try and provide a bit more information with your questions, as you'll get more help, and the help you get will be more relevant.
Wombat
Prole

Post by Wombat »

Ok, i created a game with many scripts for another lua wrapper. Now i am going to convert my scripts for LÖVE andru it´s still works good.

I did my code in different scripts to have a better overview of my big project. With the lua wrapper i used before, changing the scripts where no problem, simply dofile("Script.lua"). But now for me, it is a bit complicated to change the script. Yes there´s is require, but require doesn´t close the current script and open a new one it only open a new script besides the current running.

Yes, i could write my code in a way that works with require. But it would be more work to convert it to LÖVE. So i simply ask you if it´s possible to simply change the scripts in LÖVE and close the current one.

When not, then it´s ok. Then i have to make the code with require. But first i have to check out if i can manage this with less work^^.

Thanks in advance and thanks for your help so far. :)
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

dofile does not end the execution of the script any more than either l.fs.load()() or require does.
Wombat
Prole

Post by Wombat »

yes, but when you combine dofile() with collectgarbage() and with setting all non-relevant variables to nil...
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Still nothing magic about dofile().
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Wombat
Prole

Post by Wombat »

Ok, can you tell me a way to solve my problem then? ^^
bartbes