8 direction diagonal movement difficulties

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
raidho36
Party member

Re: 8 direction diagonal movement difficulties

Post by raidho36 »

Just get yourself a new USB keyboard, it'll cost around ten bucks or something.
verilog
Citizen

Post by verilog »

Keyboard ghosting, perhaps?
The article explains what might be the problem, be sure to check out the keyboard application at the top of the page! For example, press 'A', 'Z' and then 'X'. Now, press 'Z', 'X' and then 'A'.
Bobbias
Prole

Post by Bobbias »

raidho36 wrote:PS/2 port has legacy-related issues with bandwitdh or something, I never went into details too deep, but the sympthoms of that is that if you can't have more than specific amount of keys pressed simultaneously. Hell knows what logic picks first few that pass, the rest are ignored (and buffer overflow signal is sent, this normally results in PC speaker short beep).

Actually, PS/2 connections are superior to USB connections as far as n-key roll over is concerned. USB can handle a maximum of 6 keys (without some workarounds, I've heard of companies who claim full 26-key roll over or something on USB (possibly with multiple connections))

The big issue is that on standard keyboards (aka anything less than $100+) the real limiting factor is the layout of the key grid. There are some situations where multiple key presses are undetectable. Go read up on rollver on wikipedia.
bdjnk
Citizen

Post by bdjnk »

Hey, thanks verilog and Bobbias!

I also found some good information in this discussion.

I guess my keyboard is just cheap as hell. Time to get a better one.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

On some older keyboards, I've found that WASD works much better than the directional keys when it comes to this. Not sure why.