Compile from Source --> EPIC FAIL

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
notostraca
Prole

Compile from Source --> EPIC FAIL

Post by notostraca »

Hello, LOVEly community! I have had some serious problems compiling LOVE from the source .tar.gz on my Linux machine. I am running OpenSUSE 11.0 using KDE on an AMD64 processor. After downloading LOVE and compiling the first time, I found there were some bugs in the source code, including the references to the ILvoid typedef (which doesn't exist at all in the latest DevIL release, and should be replaced with void in src/opengl/love_opengl.cpp and src/opengl/Image.cpp) and the missing "#include <string>" in src/physfs/File.cpp (it calls strlen() without including string, so...). I fixed these, and LOVE actually compiled after convincing the package-manager-installed DevIL/physfs to play nicely with the manually-installed ones, but now when I run ./love , it says

Code: Select all

~/lua/love-0.5-0/src> ./love
./love: error while loading shared libraries: libILU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I checked in /usr/local/lib, and libILU.so.1 is a link to the current version, libILU.so.1.0.1, which most certainly exists (it is 225.7 KB). I tried copying libILU.so.1.0.1 into the love-0.5-0/src folder, which didn't change anything. I don't know where love is looking for libraries, but the 64-bit system I am using might be a part of it? Any advice whatsoever would be handy; I'm not a Linux expert. I am kind of surprised that this is so hard to compile; the binary love.app worked perfectly on my Mac.
notostraca
Prole

Compile from Source --> EPIC WIN

Post by notostraca »

Turns out I hadn't been using ldconfig. It is located in sbin, so you have to call /sbin/ldconfig every time on OpenSUSE. THE MORE YOU KNOW...*
osgeld
Party member

Re: Compile from Source --> EPIC FAIL

Post by osgeld »

that's good to know, and im glad you were able / determined enough to figure it out

i currently use 32 bit ubuntu, so the binary works fine, but i gave my wife a new badass dual core amd system for xmas, and i got her older single core x64 (which is a big improvement over my A-XP)

so now that i have a 64 bit system, and have been using linux for almost 3 years, im eyeballing other distros (dont get me wrong ubuntu is great, but now that im not a total noob ... id like to explore different flavors outside of mandrake and ubuntu) and Open SUSE is high on my list

thanks for sharing your experience! it will make other peoples lives easier in this situation
Tabasco
Citizen

Post by Tabasco »

osgeld wrote:im eyeballing other distros (dont get me wrong ubuntu is great, but now that im not a total noob ... id like to explore different flavors outside of mandrake and ubuntu) and Open SUSE is high on my list
As someone who's been running various flavors since RH5, I might suggest vanilla debian or if you don't mind the waiting, gentoo was nice, especially for x64. At the end of the day, linux is linux though, so you're ultimately choosing a package management system and supported repositories.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

Tabasco wrote: As someone who's been running various flavors since RH5, I might suggest vanilla debian or if you don't mind the waiting, gentoo was nice, especially for x64. At the end of the day, linux is linux though, so you're ultimately choosing a package management system and supported repositories.
aye, vanilla deb is high on my list too

(and i still have the box set for RH5, it might even be installed on my p 90mhz laptop still (i dunno at this moment, it might be rh5, it might be win 95, it might be os/2 warp, or soliaris 2.6, or even plain ol dos lol its been a while since i booted that one)
notostraca
Prole

Post by notostraca »

Tabasco wrote:
osgeld wrote:im eyeballing other distros (dont get me wrong ubuntu is great, but now that im not a total noob ... id like to explore different flavors outside of mandrake and ubuntu) and Open SUSE is high on my list
As someone who's been running various flavors since RH5, I might suggest vanilla debian or if you don't mind the waiting, gentoo was nice, especially for x64. At the end of the day, linux is linux though, so you're ultimately choosing a package management system and supported repositories.
I don't really want to recommend OpenSUSE right now; the current 11.1 release has given two of my friends problems, and my computer running the 11.0 version has some serious package management issues, not to mention how messed up everything looks with my glitchy KDE 4.0 (might just be me, but...). I would like to try another distro -- Fedora, Debian, or Gentoo maybe, although Gentoo seems a little too advanced for my Linux skill-set. If one of you tries Debian, I'd like to hear your reaction.
prmottajr
Prole

Post by prmottajr »

I have been using opensuse since 10.0 and it is quite cool. Yast is so simple to use and the opensuse.org site has many links to repositories including packman. 10.3 was able to recognizing almost everything from my late HP laptop (a Pavillon DV 6000 series, only webcam was missing, however it was a strange brand, no other distro would find it too...) now I am on 11.1 on my new laptop. It works fine (expect for the bluetooth, and it seems it is a KDE problem).

sound, webcam, internal mic, wi-fi, everything worked out-of-the-box.

I have recently compiled Love, all the packages were installed via Yast had a hard time figuring out that I needed to install Boost (there is no simple way to find the lib only).

Compilation failed due to ILvoid on Devil, changed the Love files. And also on the strlen problem. after that Love is working fine.

More info coming soon ;)