Unable to run created games on osx

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Eraep_Sekahs
Prole

Unable to run created games on osx

Post by Eraep_Sekahs »

Like the title says, i can't run any created .love files. I followed all the instructions in the "Getting Started" section and still nothing.
I can download the tutorials, and then those games work, but when i try to edit them and drag it onto the Love icon, it starts to load but then quits.
I even compressed one of the tuts into a .zip file and then made it into a .love file again. Tried to run it but the same load-->quit thing happened even though the original tut works.
Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice on what to do?
bmelts
Party member

Re: Unable to run created games on osx

Post by bmelts »

Try expanding the .zip files you create. It's possible that it's saving the entire hierarchy into the .zip file, which would confuse LOVE.

Making more sense:

LOVE looks for a file named main.lua at the root of the .love/.zip file. One quirk Mac OS X has is that, depending on how you zip things, it will compress the entire file hierarchy as it is on your hard drive into the .zip. So if your game folder was at /Users/billytheshakes/Documents/a_winters_game, that's what would go into the ZIP file. A folder named Users, containing a folder named billytheshakes, containing a folder named Documents, containing a folder named a_winters_game, which would have your files inside it.

If you want to circumvent this annoying behavior, you can just drag+drop the folder itself onto the LOVE icon - hold down command-option to force LOVE to accept the folder. This will make things work properly.
Eraep_Sekahs
Prole

Post by Eraep_Sekahs »

w00t! they work now, thanks alot anjo.
interlol
Prole

Post by interlol »

If you don't want to zip your directory every time it is modified, I found that you can also rename the directory by appending .love at the end of its name, but I don't know if it works on other platforms.
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Theoretically it would just look like a folder on other platforms.