Compiling LÖVE on Windows

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
zapwow
Prole

Compiling LÖVE on Windows

Post by zapwow »

I've been struggling all evening to figure this out. How do I compile LÖVE on windows xp? I'm most comfortable using VC++ but can't figure out the steps needed to create the project correctly. Heck I even downloaded cygwin and tried to use make, to no avail. Does anyone at least have any pointers that will get me going in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: Compiling LÖVE on Windows

Post by qubodup »

zapwow wrote:Does anyone at least have any pointers that will get me going in the right direction?
MinGW?

Is winpiling not explained in the source readme?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
zapwow
Prole

Post by zapwow »

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I can't find the source readme you speak of... if it exists, it's not included in the windows version.

Assuming I've installed MinGW correctly, would I not simply point it to Makefile.am? When I do that, it just stops, like this:

Code: Select all

C:\MinGW\bin>mingw32-make -f c:\love-0.5-0\src\Makefile.am
mingw32-make: *** No targets.  Stop.
Maybe I'm supposed to use Makefile.in, but it does the same thing saying missing separator instead of No targets.
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

zapwow wrote:Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I can't find the source readme you speak of... if it exists, it's not included in the windows version.

Assuming I've installed MinGW correctly, would I not simply point it to Makefile.am? When I do that, it just stops, like this:

C:\MinGW\bin>mingw32-make -f c:\love-0.5-0\src\Makefile.am
mingw32-make: *** No targets.  Stop.
Maybe I'm supposed to use Makefile.in, but it does the same thing saying missing separator instead of No targets.
.am and .in are used to generate the makefile.. I think. Just "Makefile", no extension.
zapwow
Prole

Post by zapwow »

Kaze wrote:Just "Makefile", no extension.
Nope, then it says "No such file or directory".

What's also confusing is that "No targets. Stop" apparently means:
You didn't provide any targets to be built on the command line, and make couldn't find any makefiles to read in
:?
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

zapwow wrote:
Kaze wrote:Just "Makefile", no extension.
Nope, then it says "No such file or directory".

What's also confusing is that "No targets. Stop" apparently means:
You didn't provide any targets to be built on the command line, and make couldn't find any makefiles to read in
:?
When building on linux, "configure"(the file) is usually run first. That probably generates the makefile.
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Simple inspection of the love-0.5-0 shows a configure script, so, on windows, you need MingW and Msys installed. Running the msys terminal, you'd change directory to love-0.5-0 and type

./configure
and wait a few moments, and then type

make
zapwow
Prole

Post by zapwow »

I finally got it! It turns out the source included with the windows version doesn't include the configure script, I had to grab the linux one instead. Thanks all for your help.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

svn co https://love.svn.sf.net/svnroot/love/tags/0.5.0 (<-- to get the .sln file)

Download one of these: http://tehlol.com/lovetask/sdk/ and merge the directories. (I don't remember which is for 0.5.0. I think it may be #9). Warning: VS2005.

From next version on, I will start adding these files to SourceForge.
machee
Prole

Post by machee »

I've tried this and feel like I'm getting pretty close to getting it working but I think I'm stuck.

The first problem is that love.rc tries to include afxres.h, which doesn't exist. If I delete the include from love.rc and some other code that I think relies on it, everything compiles.

Then when the linker runs, it complains about LIBCMT and MSVCRT conflicting with other libs. So I add them to the "Ignore Specific Library" list in the project settings.

Then I'm stuck with two unresolved externals:

1>physfs.lib(windows.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetUserNameA@8 referenced in function _fallbackGetUserNameW@8
1>physfs.lib(windows.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__OpenProcessToken@12 referenced in function _determineUserDir

If I go back to the project properties, and specifically add ADVAPI32.lib to the libraries to include, the linker works, but then I get this error when I run it: "The procedure entry point _iFlipBuffer@16 could not be located in the dynamic link library DevIL.dll."

I'm not sure at what point in these steps I'm actually screwing up, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some ideas to try.

I just want to compile my own so i can add Collision Point Persist and Remove callbacks, and ability to set fixedRotation when creating bodies. (I know this is coming soon, but i wanted to get a jump on things and play around some.)