Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
davisdude
Party member

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by davisdude »

Here's a guess: you have to enable viewing extensions, then change the file extension. Another one is that you have simply not removed the .zip part from the end.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Oprogrammer
Prole

Post by Oprogrammer »

How do you enable viewing extensions ??? i think that might be the problem as i confident i have removed the .zip at the end.

edit: i have managed to create a .love file , but it shows a black screen when trying to open it, instead of showing the program .... any idea's why ?
Attachments
platformer.love
(7.24 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Main.lua should be main.lua
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
omnione
Prole

Post by omnione »

Hello everyone!

I've recently began trying to package my game into an executable to let my friends try it out. I followed all the instructions in the game_distribution page and the executable created just fine for the first time. Every time after that, the executable wouldnt work! it kept saying "no game is found". when I extract the bad executable, it looks different from what the good executable copy looks like when I extract the good copy. I continue to use "copy /b love.exe+SuperGame.love SuperGame.exe" in my command prompt (i'm using windows 64bit) to keep trying to create the executable. It continues to fail but for some reason, after like 20-30 tries, I get a good working copy! Any insight on how to fix this problem and have a good working copy every time would be much appreciated. Thank you
Ragzouken
Citizen

Post by Ragzouken »

omnione wrote:Hello everyone!

I've recently began trying to package my game into an executable to let my friends try it out. I followed all the instructions in the game_distribution page and the executable created just fine for the first time. Every time after that, the executable wouldnt work! it kept saying "no game is found". when I extract the bad executable, it looks different from what the good executable copy looks like when I extract the good copy. I continue to use "copy /b love.exe+SuperGame.love SuperGame.exe" in my command prompt (i'm using windows 64bit) to keep trying to create the executable. It continues to fail but for some reason, after like 20-30 tries, I get a good working copy! Any insight on how to fix this problem and have a good working copy every time would be much appreciated. Thank you
it'd be great if you could confirm this, so i can update it on the wiki, but i think you actually need to attach SuperGame.zip rather than SuperGame.love? i was rewriting my build script yesterday and noticed i couldn't get it work with attaching the love file to the exe. could that be your problem?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

That shouldn't matter as long as the .love is really a renamed .zip. If it's another format (e.g. a renamed rar file), then it won't work.
Ragzouken
Citizen

Post by Ragzouken »

i'm using "cat" in git bash (windows) so i can't be sure it's not just weird behaviour, but i couldn't get it to work unless i used the .zip extension
omnione
Prole

Post by omnione »

hey Ragzouken and slime,

Yes, I tried appending the love.exe with my game using both a .love and .zip extension but neither of the extensions produce a working executable of my game. I have not tried using the git bash extension. I currently used a command prompt window and copy /b love.exe+Game.love Game.exe. If you could, I would definitely appreciate your solution using "cat" with git bash. Thanks!
Ragzouken
Citizen

Post by Ragzouken »

i only use gitbash because it's convenient for me, copy /b should work just as well! (it's just "cat love.exe game.zip > game.exe" btw)

btw just realised what my problem was - when i create a .love using my script it doesn't know what archive type to use from the extension and picks 7z
omnione
Prole

Post by omnione »

I tried using the "cat love.exe supergame.love > supergame.exe" and "cat love.exe supergame.zip > supergame.exe" but they both don't work for me. =/ Git bash says it cannot find supergame.love or supergame.zip. For some reason, copy /b love.exe + supergame.love supergame.exe still doesn't work. Thanks though!