Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
jennsand
Prole

Re: Distributing your games (making a .love file)

Post by jennsand »

First I must ask, why create binaries?
Well... the game I'm making is called "Fashion Police" and it's intended for people who know very little about their own computers. So I really want to be able to set it up so they can just download one thing from me, rather than having to download LOVE as well.

I get what you're saying about the love.app being in the /Applications directory. But when I tried to look there, there was no folder name LOVE and no love.app file sitting inside it.

As for the files saved using the love.filesystem. The files don't exist using Finder. So when I load the game up a 2nd time and it tries to find those files, it fails and crashes. So no... it can't seem to load up the saved files.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Have you used love.filesystem.setidentity()?

Btw, at this point you might consider creating a new topic.
jennsand
Prole

Post by jennsand »

I did do the setIdentity thing and it still didn't work.

Ok.. Have spun off this thread and started a new one at:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1666

Thanks for the help so far. I love LOVE ;)
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

I believe that if you can open DMGs, it is quite simple, since .APPs are just file folders.

As for Linux, you are going to need to install MSYS or related software so that you can use the Cat utility (this may not actually work).

At this point, I do admit that Mac has a superiority in that sense, then again a Linux user could create these all in a snap with Wine etc.
Good bye.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

dmg's are disc images. They usually come with an autorun that presents your applications folder and the program to drag into the applications folder though as the installer. Good luck reading/writing dmg's on a non HFS+ filesystem though.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

Sucessful ports have been made to Windows and Linux (admitedly the Linux one is not fully functional, but it does the job and the Windows driver is complete).
Good bye.
jennsand
Prole

Post by jennsand »

Luiji wrote:I believe that if you can open DMGs, it is quite simple, since .APPs are just file folders.
What do you mean "if"? Is this something that needs to be set in user preferences or something? On my friends' Macs I wasn't able to see any "love.app" file from the LOVE dmg file, even when I had dragged and dropped the Love.dmg file to the applications directory.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

jennsand wrote:What do you mean "if"? Is this something that needs to be set in user preferences or something? On my friends' Macs I wasn't able to see any "love.app" file from the LOVE dmg file, even when I had dragged and dropped the Love.dmg file to the applications directory.
You are supposed to mount DMG's. Usually by double clicking. Also try right clicking and selecting mount. They show up on your desktop as tiny disk drives you can open.
Luiji
Party member

Post by Luiji »

I meant "if" as in if Windows/Linux can, as at the time of posting I had not discovered the many software tools that can.
Good bye.
jennsand
Prole

Post by jennsand »

Thanks for the help. I think the problem was that although I was mounting the dmg, the love.app file/folder was showing up as just "love" on my friends' Macs. I assume that's cause normally Macs automatically disable showing file extensions? I know Windows does that usually.