Linux binaries request

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Green_Hell
Citizen

Linux binaries request

Post by Green_Hell »

Why don't you release statically linked Linux binaries?

I'm inexperienced Linux user who doesn't want to compile anything and is not able to make the deb package work.

Yes It's only my problem but I think this is usual way of distributing software. Even the Firefox does it.

>>I love LÖVE.<<
rude
Administrator

Re: Linux binaries request

Post by rude »

Hello Green_Hell, long time no see.

Some of the dependencies are LGPL'd, which means that they disallow static linkage (no, I'm not going to GPL LÖVE). But it would be nice to remove most of the dependencies ... so I'll consider it. It might take a while, though.
Green_Hell wrote:Yes It's only my problem
I think many people have this problem.

Meanwhile, which distribution are you using?
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

just to know, why don't you want to use the gpl for löve?

Btw I see this on the wikipedia page about the zlib licence:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlib_License
GPL compatible Yes

Is the zlib close to the bsd licence ?

A static binary would be nice yes, and easier to redistribute with the games.
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

I'd like to know the problem with the DEB package... it probably isn't really that hard to solve :)
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

rude wrote: Some of the dependencies are LGPL'd, which means that they disallow static linkage (no, I'm not going to GPL LÖVE). But it would be nice to remove most of the dependencies ... so I'll consider it. It might take a while, though.
What? :shock: LÖVE is not GPL? :o I'm absolutely for GPL LÖVE.
rude wrote: Meanwhile, which distribution are you using?
That's the funniest. :oops: I'm using Debian Lenny.
Merkoth wrote:I'd like to know the problem with the DEB package... it probably isn't really that hard to solve :)
The problem was dependencies I didn't want to solve it manually.

I found the solution. I installed package by dpkg -i and then opened Synaptic and repaired problematic package. :)

Now I'm running LÖVE! :ugeek:

But it wouldn't be me if I didn't have another problem. The performance is slow(graphic lags) I'm quite sure it's because Open GPU drivers (System crashes with ATI Drivers).
>>I love LÖVE.<<
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

I thought ATI finally got Linux drivers out there a while ago? Why not use the ones ATI provide? (Unless you mean that the slow performance is some kind of bug?)
tido
Prole

Post by tido »

I'm interested in knowing which packages Aptitude had to fetch in order to "repair" LÖVE so I can fix the deb-making script.
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

rude wrote:Why not use the ones ATI provide? (Unless you mean that the slow performance is some kind of bug?)
Because with ATI drivers system crashes quite often :( My hardware sux.
tido wrote:I'm interested in knowing which packages Aptitude had to fetch in order to "repair" LÖVE so I can fix the deb-making script.
I don't understand. The problem was that dpkg was not able to automatically install dependencies and I wasn't able(did'nt want) to install them manually.
"repair" is my translation from my localised version of Synaptic and I don't know what the original word is. It just installed dependencies IMHO. I don't know anything about Aptitude.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

Green_Hell wrote:The problem was that dpkg was not able to automatically install dependencies and I wasn't able(did'nt want) to install them manually.
generally, "apt-get -f install" should solve this kind of problem. It's what I did on another system on with libdevil was missing...