My Love has stopped working

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
baconhawka7x
Party member

My Love has stopped working

Post by baconhawka7x »

For some reason Love has been having major trouble running for the last week.

Let me start by saying I'm on a mac. I don't know what I did that could have caused this, but I run Love at all on my computer, it makes my entire computer slow down ridiculously, sometimes freezing for 2 minute periods, and does not even open a window for the game. After I struggle with it for about five minutes I manage to force quit it. And for about a minute after that my mouse lags like crazy. Also, sometimes when I attempt to open Love it asks me if I want to restore windows, not sure what that means, but I've tried both options and they don't seem to work!

I have the error report thing, but it's like 300,000 lines long and won't fit in this post. I"m sure if it's needed I can figure out a way to display it.

I could really use any help please! I'm desperate!
raidho36
Party member

Re: My Love has stopped working

Post by raidho36 »

Jasoco says that vanilla OS X LÖVE build hardly even works, but LuaJIT compiled version works fine.
Jasoco wrote:I'm on Mavericks which breaks all versions of Löve that are stock out of the box, so I have specially compiled versions of 8 and 9 with JIT since I can't use the normal ones from the website itself.
Last edited by raidho36 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Does this happen with any love game (including the nogame screen) or just a specific few, or just one?

You can use something like http://pastebin.com to share the crash report, it might help.

I suspect this might be a problem with your system (maybe drivers or hardware) that's showing itself when you run an OpenGL program, but it's just a guess. Do you have any other non-love games you can test in OS X? If so, do they have the same issues?

raidho36 wrote:Jasoco says that vanilla OS X LÖVE build hardly even works, but LuaJIT compiled version works fine.
Not true - they both work fine (except in OS 10.9, which isn't released yet and is only available to registered developers.) There are some OSX-specific audio related issues in 0.8.0 but that's not what baconhawka7x is describing.

EDIT: as you edited your post with the quote: Mavericks is OS 10.9 (the OS which is not released yet and requires Apple's $100 developer license to be able to use the Developer Preview to make sure your programs work with it before it comes out.)

There is an issue in 0.8.0 which prevents .love games from launching properly with LÖVE in OS 10.9. The problem doesn't happen in any previous version of OS X, and the fix isn't related to LuaJIT. The symptoms are very specific and are not at all related to what baconhawka7x is talking about.
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

slime wrote:Does this happen with any love game (including the nogame screen) or just a specific few, or just one?
Well, I can run Love alone and get the rubber pig just fine. But any .love executed in any way (compiled with sublime, changed from .zip and executable app) causes this to happen
slime wrote:You can use something like http://pastebin.com to share the crash report, it might help.
http://pastebin.com/Kg30JQcM I hope it doesn't give out too much personal information :P
slime wrote:Do you have any other non-love games you can test in OS X? If so, do they have the same issues?
I just ran "The Incident" and it worked fine.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Yeah. I just said Mavericks, which is 10.9, which isn't out yet, has the problem with Löve. 10.8 works fine and dandy. It was just a little bug that someone was able to fix and compile 0.8.0 for me so I could get it running again. It just so happens that 0.9.0 already includes the fix. It's unrelated to the problem the OP is having. As Löve never actually "stopped working" in my case. It just became unable to open .love files via the file system. (I could open them via the Terminal fine.)
DaedalusYoung
Party member

Post by DaedalusYoung »

Issues with software not starting on Mac often is due to corrupted config files. Such problems are usually fixed by deleting said config files.

Now I don't know if LÖVE itself has any configuration files, but you could try deleting all the games crud that's been collecting in ~/Library/Application Support/LOVE.
baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

...It's still not workingD:
Connorses
Citizen

Post by Connorses »

Just posting to say that I'm having some problems as well, with LOVE and games made with it. I'm also running Mavericks and I keep getting the rubber piggy or similar screens, it even happens when I try to run certain LOVE games, and it's a real problem because I wanted to try to run through the tutorial starting with "hello world" and then see what this thing can do!