Strange Windows Bug

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Charles
Prole

Strange Windows Bug

Post by Charles »

I'm just getting started with LÖVE, so far so good.

I've been playing with it on my home computers, running on Windows XP, Vista, Vista 64, and Leopard. Everything was working fine until I went to work.

So at work I have a fairly under-powered HP generic business desktop thingy, running a somewhat locked down version of XP. Here is where my story gets weird. I can download an install LÖVE, or I can download an install the standalone binary. Double clicking on 'love.exe', I see the window with the LÖVE logo and some text about salted nuts. But when I drag and drop any '.love' file on the executable, nothing happens.

Well, that is not entirely true, because an empty 'stderr' file is created on the LÖVE directory. But the file is totally empty. This happens every time, with every '.love' file I can find on this site.

All right, what is going on here? My guess was maybe crappy video card, but it's actually some stripped down ATI jobby, but Python Pyglet and OpenGL demos run fine.

Help? I don't want to have to quit my job, but I will if I can't get this working.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: Strange Windows Bug

Post by qubodup »

Charles wrote:But when I drag and drop any '.love' file on the executable, nothing happens.

Well, that is not entirely true, because an empty 'stderr' file is created on the LÖVE directory. But the file is totally empty. This happens every time, with every '.love' file I can find on this site.

All right, what is going on here? My guess was maybe crappy video card, but it's actually some stripped down ATI jobby, but Python Pyglet and OpenGL demos run fine.
What happens if you run C:\Programs\LOVE\LOVE.exe game.love? (fill in the right paths/names)

Perhaps there are some ridiculous antivir/antiChoiceOfSoftware tools installed on your.. I mean your company's notebook?
Charles wrote:Help? I don't want to have to quit my job, but I will if I can't get this working.
Хорош, Товарищ! You know your priorities!
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Charles
Prole

Post by Charles »

When I run love from the command line there is no result:

C:\love-0.50>love.exe examples.love
C:\love-0.50>

Of course, the empty stderr.txt file is created.

Any other ideas?

The computer is running Symantec Antivirus, and I don't think I can disable it, but there are no warnings generated.

This is killing me. I demand the right to screw around with LÖVE at work. I cannot be expected to only work at work.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

There should be a file called stdout.txt as well, maybe that tells you the problem.
Charles
Prole

Post by Charles »

stdout.txt, after a 'failed' launch:
This is LOVE 0.5.0 (Salted Nuts).

INIT love.filesystem [PhysFS]
INIT love.graphics [OpenGL/DevIL/FreeType]
INIT love.audio [SDL_mixer]
INIT love.timer [SDL]
INIT love.mouse [SDL]
INIT love.keyboard [SDL]
INIT love.physics [Box2D]
INIT love.lib [LuaSocket]
INIT love.joystick [SDL]
INIT love.system [Generic]
Again, stderror.txt is blank.

Anything else I should be checking?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

If that's the complete content of the file then it crashes, hard. I'm sorry to say this, but we can't really diagnose this as the lead developer took some time off. (don't worry he'll be back in a few weeks, allow him to have free time) Since you say this happens with every game it's probably something hardware-related though.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:Since you say this happens with every game it's probably something hardware-related though.
It might be related to the software his system has as well, there is really no way to tell for us. Charles, I'm afraid you're on your own on this one :(.
btw @bartbes: congrats on your 400 posts :P!
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Charles
Prole

Post by Charles »

Thanks for all the feedback.

It gets even stranger.

I noted above that running 'love.exe' without loading any '.love' files works without error, I just see the default screen, and a normal stdout.txt file is created in the Love directory. No stderr.txt file is created when this happens.

However, if I try to launch it by typing 'love' instead of 'love.exe' it does not launch, and generates the same stdout.txt and stderr.txt that I see when I try to launch a '.love' file.

Is this relevant? I'll continue to investigate, but I'm starting to think I might be screwed.
mikembley
Citizen

Post by mikembley »

Check the filepath of the target .love file funky symbols/characters have stopped me previously from loading .love files that have strange characters and symbols in the filepath

Example: C:\LÖVE files\test.love ( Didnt like the Ö )

What im trying to say, Is maybe try and remove the - from the C:\love-0.50 folder i know you may probably still get the same thing, but its worth a try!

Also what are the specs of the work computer?

EDIT:
Run HijackThis, and post the log so we can see what processes are running on the work computer
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US ... s/download