Chained audio sources

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
_ex_
Citizen

Chained audio sources

Post by _ex_ »

Hello,

I was trying to implement a custom loop for playing background music.
I wanted to loop only on some section of my music track, so the initial part doesn't loop.
I think there is no support for this in the engine, isn't it?
So I was reading the OpenAL implementation to see if I get a clue how to do this, but it seems that there are some issues I was not aware both with the OGG and OpenAL support for quick seeking and callbacks (they don't support it).
However I found that OpenAL can chain sources for continuous playback. Has somebody tried to do this?

cheers
The Burrito
Party member

Re: Chained audio sources

Post by The Burrito »

You can use audacity or something to break the files up, load them all, and play the first one (looping off)
Then check each frame if songpart1:isStopped() then start playing the next one.
It's kind of ugly but as long as your FPS stays pretty high you shouldn't notice the track switch. I did a quick test where it broke in the middle of vocals in a song and I couldn't hear the break.

I'd like to see a callback for playback ended actually, it would make audio management a lot cleaner.
Ruirize
Prole

Post by Ruirize »

+1. Excellent idea.
_ex_
Citizen

Post by _ex_ »

The Burrito wrote: I'd like to see a callback for playback ended actually, it would make audio management a lot cleaner.
thanks Burrito, I was planning to do that in the worst case, but having support for chained sources or callbacks would help here.