LÖVE on Android?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: LÖVE on Android?

Post by Jasoco »

bartbes wrote:Of course anything can be ported, but we need developer tools to do that, and, most importantly, we need the libs we use to run on the platform.
I have the development tools, but I don't have the knowledge to do it. lol And if the libraries can run on Mac OS X they can definitely be ported to iPhone OS X. (Since they are basically the same core OS) As for Android, WebOS, DS, PSP, Xbox, PS3, etc... who knows.

Dang, all this fictional talk about porting to consumer devices makes me wish I could actually program for these devices. Especially since I'll probably be getting an iPod touch soon.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

As much as I'd like a PSP port (as I have one), I'm not sure we can actually do it with the tools at hand. It might take some work to convince Sony to let you do such a thing. (while not doing homebrew) And Tree (the apple headquarters) sure would hate to allow interpreted code, so again, we'd have to go to homebrew.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The PSP is getting an XBLA and iPhone App Store style "anyone can create a game" development... kind of... whatever "PSP Minis" turns out to be.

And developing a LÖVE game for the iPhone/iPod touch would be perfectly fine as long as the application that is submitted is a LÖVE runtime engine (Coded in Xcode) that included a .love file inside it which it would then run as the actual game.

Basically it'd be the method we use to make self-contained Mac versions of our .love games, but in iPhone form. With a wrapper around the .love file.

To Apple, it would just be another game and as long as it passed their requirements, it would be on the store. And hey, if it didn't pass, there are a lot of Jailbroken iPhones out there to play on. ;)
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

Jasoco wrote:The PSP is getting an XBLA and iPhone App Store style "anyone can create a game" development... kind of... whatever "PSP Minis" turns out to be.
yea if you have a few grand for a licensed dev kit, they are not opening it up to the GP

And apple does not allow anything that runs interpreted code as per their SDK licence
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

There is a company that allows you to use HTML, CSS and JavaScript as an application that sits inside a WebKit wrapper. So either that license is false or Apple doesn't know. Which I doubt. So somehow NimbleKit is getting around it. All LÖVE needs to do is the same thing. Since it's not like LÖVE would allow access to the filesystem. It would all be sandboxed anyway only allowing saving and loading from its own space on the drive.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

with the recent c-64 emulator, the pub had to remove microsoft basic and package software as modules.

Its still the c-64 being emulated but the software is being built as greatest hits collections, from what i read of that story, dunno its one of those submit and see what they say situations

love on psp however is possible since there is now everything you need on psp (box2d being the last piece) but lua on psp is very slow, mainly becuase of math and ram limitations, It could be done, but someone is going to have to tackle the translation of lua math operations onto the psp's vfpu or else its going to be stupid slow
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

Just released: Android 1.6 NDK.

Today Android 1.6 NDK, release 1 is available
  • To recap, the NDK is a companion to the SDK that provides tools to generate and embed native ARM machine code within your application packages. This native code has the same restrictions as the VM code, but can execute certain operations much more rapidly. This is useful if you're doing heavy computations, digital processing, or even porting existing code bases written in C or C++.
  • The ability to use OpenGL ES 1.1 headers and libraries If your application targets Android 1.6, your native code can now directly call OpenGL ES 1.1 functions to perform graphics rendering.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

TechnoCat wrote:The ability to use OpenGL ES 1.1 headers and libraries If your application targets Android 1.6, your native code can now directly call OpenGL ES 1.1 functions to perform graphics rendering.
Awesome! This makes it much more feasible to port LÖVE to Android. :nyu:
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I'd settle for Android based LÖVE.
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Well... what about the other libs love depends on, like freetype, and SDL? I've got the iphone SDK but I would have no idea where to start.