UDP Networking [Solved]

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
antivapor
Prole

Re: UDP Networking

Post by antivapor »

Quick question regarding versions of Lua and LuaSocket and it being bundled with Love. Running `lua server.lua` of course returns an error because I haven't installed LuaSocket yet. Since LuaSocket is bundled with Love, am I able to just link to that? And which version is it? I'm currently browsing about my filesystem but can't find the Linux-path to bundled components.

I've got both Lua5.1 and 5.2. LuaSocket 2.0.2 says it is compatible with Lua 5.1 (Src Mirror), and whatever bundled version is compatible with 5.2. Also, has anyone used LuaSocket 3.0? I'm going to try with that first.

Looking forward to playing the KarmaExchange example, I read through it and just need to get the server going :3.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It's completely built into the engine, starting from 0.9.0 you could probably get it by loading liblove.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

bartbes wrote:It's completely built into the engine, starting from 0.9.0 you could probably get it by loading liblove.
Ok, so how would you run server.lua that doesn't use the LOVE framework?
bekey
Party member

[]

Post by bekey »

-snip-
Last edited by bekey on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

bekey wrote:Is this a viable solution? http://www.exitgames.com/
I'm not hosting an online server. I just need to know how I would run the server.lua if it doesn't use the LOVE framework.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

mH38GZl.png
mH38GZl.png (9.7 KiB) Viewed 337 times
So long as you have luasocket2 installed, you can write a server in pure Lua.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

josefnpat wrote:Image

Ok. But what if I want the user to create the server with a click of a button. How would you run the file from LOVE? Just require it?
antivapor
Prole

Post by antivapor »

spynaz wrote:

Ok. But what if I want the user to create the server with a click of a button. How would you run the file from LOVE? Just require it?
For a push of a button, I think you only have to put a `require("server") in your main.lua, comment out `serverSetup()` at the bottom of server.lua, and make a button call to `serverSetup()`.

And related to my question, at the moment, I've got LuaSocket3.0 running with Lua5.1, and'll post my solution when I get it working with 5.2. :)
bartbes wrote:It's completely built into the engine, starting from 0.9.0 you could probably get it by loading liblove.
How is liblove called, or where is it located? Is it just a folder when I upgrade from 0.8.0 to 0.9.0?

Also, thanks Germanunkol for the Karma example, it was really helpful.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

antivapor wrote:
spynaz wrote:

For a push of a button, I think you only have to put a `require("server") in your main.lua, comment out `serverSetup()` at the bottom of server.lua, and make a button call to `serverSetup()`.

And related to my question, at the moment, I've got LuaSocket3.0 running with Lua5.1, and'll post my solution when I get it working with 5.2. :)
How is liblove called, or where is it located? Is it just a folder when I upgrade from 0.8.0 to 0.9.0?

Also, thanks Germanunkol for the Karma example, it was really helpful.
Ok, I see now. Thanks for you help.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

antivapor wrote: How is liblove called, or where is it located?
Linux: $libdir/liblove.so, defaulting to $prefix/lib/liblove.so defaulting to /usr/lib/liblove.so for packages and /usr/local/lib/liblove.so for source builds.
Windows: love.dll (or liblove.dll, I always forget)
OSX: .. wherever you put libraries..

I'd like to mention that, considering your use case, it might be interesting to, instead of running your server separately, running it inside of a thread. That way you do have access to love's luasocket, the server will quit when the game quits, and it's still isolated.

@spynaz: Could you please stop quoting entire posts? It's in violation of the etiquette.